wont start

oldtimer
This post is 5659 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

well today i decided to change the oil so had the bike running for ten mins, removed sump plug drained oil replaced with new washer and sump plug, put in new oil then came to start the bike i have never had a problem before always starts,the engine turns over but does not start ,checked for spark all okay, plugs get wet so it looks like fuel getting to them,even checked the side stand switch as i have had problems before with it still no joy, fuses ok checked for any loose conections but still no joy, as i only changed the oil its got me foxed anyone any suggestions for me to try tomorrow as i dont have a garage and have given up for the night ,thanks for any suggestions

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like you have all the ingredients to start, cant you enlist a couple of helpers for a push (bump) start? If you cant i suggest you squirt some oil through the spark plug hole on each pot, this will help the rings get a seal for compression!

will give it a try in the morning with a squirt of oil, not much chance of a push start round here they are all older then me and with zimmers lol

will give it a try in the morning with a squirt of oil, not much chance of a push start round here they are all older then me and with zimmers lol

If its not too much bother i would charge your battery for a couple of hours, since youve run it down with previous failed attempts, either that or jumper it from your car battery

If its not too much bother i would charge your battery for a couple of hours, since youve run it down with previous failed attempts, either that or jumper it from your car battery

battery is on charge now so it should be okay for morning ,its sods law i always say if its not broke dont fix it ,the bike has never been running better and it was only boredom that made me think well i have some oil and nothing else to do so why not, are well the joys of biking

well morning arrived battery fully charged, checked for spark all ok,compression ok, fuses ok,fuel getting through ok turns over but still will not start

Try switching to 'prime' on your fuel tap, are the plugs wet with fuel?

tried that plugs appear to get wet with fuel,starting to get me down now as all i have done is change the oil, checked that i havent touched or knocked any wires any where when i did it,gone down the line of getting a spark thats ok ,fuel lines checked, air filter removed and cleaned,still no go

Yes its annoying when this happens, make sure the plug gaps haven gone too wide, have you got a gas hob? if so, hold the plug with pliers and burn them dry again. is the choke working, i dont know the bike but does it look to be operating on the carbs properly

Yes its annoying when this happens, make sure the plug gaps haven gone too wide, have you got a gas hob? if so, hold the plug with pliers and burn them dry again. is the choke working, i dont know the bike but does it look to be operating on the carbs properly

i seem to be one step a head of you just been doing that with the plugs no go but am just about to have a look at the carb its like a bloody saga this will let you know the outcome

i seem to be one step a head of you just been doing that with the plugs no go but am just about to have a look at the carb its like a bloody saga this will let you know the outcome

cold hungry and pissed off thats it for today thanks for all your suggestions as this bloody thing seems to have become my winter project i will be on the lookout for a cheap bike as i cannot be without a bike,thanks again

well today i decided to change the oil so had the bike running for ten mins, removed sump plug drained oil replaced with new washer and sump plug, put in new oil then came to start the bike i have never had a problem before always starts,the engine turns over but does not start ,checked for spark all okay, plugs get wet so it looks like fuel getting to them,even checked the side stand switch as i have had problems before with it still no joy, fuses ok checked for any loose conections but still no joy, as i only changed the oil its got me foxed anyone any suggestions for me to try tomorrow as i dont have a garage and have given up for the night ,thanks for any suggestions

well that was where the story started three days later it still wont start,cleaned carbs .cleaned and checked fuel pump,getting a spark, plugs getting wet, engine turning over but just wont start,the bloody thing was running fine till i changed the oil, but the thing that really pisses me off is the comedian at the yamaha dealer who said if you bring it in we will have a look at it in the new year (if i set of pushing it the eight miles i might get there for new year lol) the bloody idiot if it was able to start i would not be taking it in,but to finish off by saying is there anything else i can help you with was the final straw,have had yamahas since 1970 but i think it might be time for a change.

well that was where the story started three days later it still wont start,cleaned carbs .cleaned and checked fuel pump,getting a spark, plugs getting wet, engine turning over but just wont start,the bloody thing was running fine till i changed the oil;;;

hi . auld timer ..... u say theres a spark ..??? how strong [ colour ] .. IF U SAY IT Was ok before the oil change :unsure: it must be summat u did then .. Now THESE MODERN BIKES . do they have an oil Level SWITCH ?

like the honda 4 stroke engines , if level isna correct . no start . ie. no spark .... MY MONEY IS ON THE SPARK .[Weak or coil or some fancy switch ..????????????

if it aint broke dont fix it! heard that line many a time but i dont listen either. anyway i would also go with the oil level theory. remember that when you change the oil and filter the sump will take more oil than normal as the filter soaks it up thus giving a low reading. i always soak my filters in the new oil before fitting then. there is also less chance of an airlock. you say you had a problem with the side stand switch if so disconnect the wires and join them together to complete the curcuit.

hope this helps

good luck

hi . auld timer ..... u say theres a spark ..??? how strong [ colour ] .. IF U SAY IT Was ok before the oil change :unsure: it must be summat u did then .. Now THESE MODERN BIKES . do they have an oil Level SWITCH ?

like the honda 4 stroke engines , if level isna correct . no start . ie. no spark .... MY MONEY IS ON THE SPARK .[Weak or coil or some fancy switch ..????????????

hi blackhat,yes strong spark blue in colour,no oil level switch and the only thing i touched was the sump plug and oil filler cap, read last night on another forum a guy who had the same problem twice and both times the only way he started it was with new plugs,so i thought i would give that a try what a joke three yamaha dealers phoned "sorry mate dont stock we can order them for you" god i must be old you could buy spark plugs most garages and motor world dont stock spark plugs, i only had new plugs 1500 miles ago ,but any thing is worth a try so ordered of e bay.

if it aint broke dont fix it! heard that line many a time but i dont listen either. anyway i would also go with the oil level theory. remember that when you change the oil and filter the sump will take more oil than normal as the filter soaks it up thus giving a low reading. i always soak my filters in the new oil before fitting then. there is also less chance of an airlock. you say you had a problem with the side stand switch if so disconnect the wires and join them together to complete the curcuit.

hope this helps

good luck

thanks mate will try any thing , will try that with the side stand at this point any things worth trying , i am getting withdrawal symptoms three days not out on my bike , not locked up tonight so if some one fancys it please pinch it lol

If the spark plugs are firing, the engine must start. If not then you have low compression.

If the plugs are not firing but the engine turns over on the starter, then it's the kill switch.

me again

dont know if you have a single or twin cylinder engine, but if its a twin and you are getting a spark try swapping the plug leads round

me again

dont know if you have a single or twin cylinder engine, but if its a twin and you are getting a spark try swapping the plug leads round

thanks will try tomorrow it is a twin,happy new year to you off to pub now ( drown my sorrows)

well it is a happy new year, i got up this morning and set to work once again to get this bloody bike started, if you have read this thread you will see it all started off with an oil change, bike running ok warmed up oil changed, then bike just would not start, well i was getting a spark, fuel pump checked and cleaned, carbs cleaned,electrics checked, starter motor checked, fuel petcock checked,immobiliser checked ,side stand switch checked you name it was checked so there was no reason why it would not start, as one of my neighbours passed he asked me what was up at the end of explaining he said my mates had trouble with his car the AA came out and it was the fuel it was contaminated, well anythings worth a try so i drained the fuel tank and the carb and my mate came round with a gallon of unleaded, put it in an pressed the starter engine started spluttered backfired and ran as rough as a bears arse for 5 minutes ,helmet on and a quick blast up the road for a few miles and its running sweet as a nut, it turns out the guy up the road who had problems with his car had also filled up at the same garage (last time for both of us) so happy new year to one and all looks like my new year might get better

well it is a happy new year, i got up this morning and set to work once again to get this bloody bike started, if you have read this thread you will see it all started off with an oil change, bike running ok warmed up oil changed, then bike just would not start, well i was getting a spark, fuel pump checked and cleaned, carbs cleaned,electrics checked, starter motor checked, fuel petcock checked,immobiliser checked ,side stand switch checked you name it was checked so there was no reason why it would not start, as one of my neighbours passed he asked me what was up at the end of explaining he said my mates had trouble with his car the AA came out and it was the fuel it was contaminated, well anythings worth a try so i drained the fuel tank and the carb and my mate came round with a gallon of unleaded, put it in an pressed the starter engine started spluttered backfired and ran as rough as a bears arse for 5 minutes ,helmet on and a quick blast up the road for a few miles and its running sweet as a nut, it turns out the guy up the road who had problems with his car had also filled up at the same garage (last time for both of us) so happy new year to one and all looks like my new year might get better

good to hear you got it going mate. sometimes its the simplest of things.

happy new year. :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online