xj600s

jpdean00
This post is 5651 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've just bought a non running, 94 diversion from the back of some blokes shed, and it wont start. I have fitted a new coil, battery, and found the starter switch wire was corroded, so have replaced it.

When I press the start button, no click, just the oil light comes on.

When I bridge the solenoid, it does turn over.

What should I check next?

Can I test the relays?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi is there no neutral light?

check she is out of gear

check the kill switch for corrosion

check the side stand switch

check all connections and fuses

hope this helps.

I've just bought a non running, 94 diversion from the back of some blokes shed, and it wont start. I have fitted a new coil, battery, and found the starter switch wire was corroded, so have replaced it.

When I press the start button, no click, just the oil light comes on.

When I bridge the solenoid, it does turn over.

What should I check next?

Can I test the relays?

Hi

as perviously posted the oil light coming on when the starter pressed points to the bike being in gear and the clutch lever not pulled in if in gear or the kill switch in the off position. But if you are in neutral (and have the light on) this runs it down to the kill switch or the side stand switch (back feeding fooling the rest of the circut that the bike is in gear and the side stand down). If the neutral light has blown or the switch is U/S you will get this problem. If you short the starter switch & the engine turns over does it start or show any signs of doing so with the key in the on position ?, shorting the starter switch will just spin the starter motor (ign on or off). Did you buy both coils or just one which perhaps was a waste until you sort out which part of the wiring/switches is stopping the starter motor turning when you press the button (The 2 may be combined). I'm sure you will get more helpful answers from the forum as my knowledge of the XJ600 Diversion is limited but from my ownership of a 900 Diversion and the time I repaired older XJ's they are just pre tech bikes and can be sorted quite easy !

Regards Jim

Hi thanks for your help,

Neutral light is on, stand up, and clutch in. so I will check the kill switch.

When I put power to the starter it only turns, doesn't start, and doesn't appear to spark.

if it is turning over and no spark then i would say its the kill switch. the kill switch completes a circiut and if it is faulty then the starter wont turn on the button.

thanks, I will test the switch. looks like someone has had a go at the electrics in the past, so I may bypass the loom in case the circuit is broken.

Any ideas where to get a wiring diagram for the starter assembly?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online