how to tell difference between magneto system and battery system

donny o
This post is 5719 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1974 dt125a (Maroon and #444-000480) and have been reading all these posts in the vintage forum and see a lot of things about starting the bike with and without battery and whether it's battery type or magneto. What's the first thing to do to know which one you have? And if it is a battery type, do I need battery to get spark?? No ignition key and no battery right now. Thanks a lot!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a 1974 dt125a (Maroon and #444-000480) and have been reading all these posts in the vintage forum and see a lot of things about starting the bike with and without battery and whether it's battery type or magneto. What's the first thing to do to know which one you have? And if it is a battery type, do I need battery to get spark?? No ignition key and no battery right now. Thanks a lot!

Hi donny, if its a magneto ignition it will spark if you disconnect the ignition switch, it will also have just one wire to the coil i think.

Hi donny, if its a magneto ignition it will spark if you disconnect the ignition switch, it will also have just one wire to the coil i think.

with magneto it should start without a battery, but the lights/indicators won't work properly or not at all. well that's what i did on the wifes cg125 (who is slowly coming round to liking the bike!!)

Your bike has a Hitachi GS-X170 AC/DC Charging system. Nothing with work without a 12 volt power source.

• 5 weeks later...

The dt125's the at1, 2,3 all have generators-starters.The AT Mx bikes have magnetos.

Easiest way to tell, the left side case cover sticks out further. if you remove the cover, a magneto would have a flywheel hiding the points and coils. the generator, you will see the points and condensor right away

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online