Riding 50cc bikes on the road.

JonYorksYAM
This post is 5688 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

From what I've read, because I passed my car test before 2001 I'm allowed to ride an insured 50cc scooter (31mph limit) on the road without taking any tests, and can do this without L plates for as long as I like. And carry a passenger.

But I was wondering does this law mean I can also ride a 50cc motorbike (eg dt50) under the same rules?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

ok cheers.

I was thinking same but thought would ask because official websites only mention scooter or moped. Maybe they would class a dt50 as a scooter, I wouldn't though :rolleyes:

This is a quote from DVLA website

What is a moped?

A moped is a motorcycle that has the following features:

maximum design speed not exceeding 50 kilometres per hour (km/h) (about 31 miles per hour (mph)

an engine capacity no greater than 50 cc

it can be moved by pedals, if the moped was first used before 1 September 1977

As you can see, point 3 will not apply as pedals arent fitted anymore, it is a 50cc motorcycle but for some reason people still call them mopeds, it would be better if they didnt IMO

• 2 months later...

This is a quote from DVLA website

What is a moped?

A moped is a motorcycle that has the following features:

maximum design speed not exceeding 50 kilometres per hour (km/h) (about 31 miles per hour (mph)

an engine capacity no greater than 50 cc

it can be moved by pedals, if the moped was first used before 1 September 1977

As you can see, point 3 will not apply as pedals arent fitted anymore, it is a 50cc motorcycle but for some reason people still call them mopeds, it would be better if they didnt IMO

Shown below is my Son on his 16th. birthday

The machine is a Fantic 50 cc with a 6 speed gearbox

The advantage is that the frame was more or less full size which suited this big lad.

It was fully road legal and insured.

It was even MOT'd in a "with lights" format which was optional for trials bikes.

It was kindly loaned to us by Mr. Roy Carey, who was the Fantic Importer at the time.

In events where roadwork (legal requirements applied) was involved (even simple road - crossings) Mike was forced to deploy this 50 until he was 17 years old

This unburstable little 50 "did" The Scott, The Travers and similar National events where it competed against 250's and bigger.

It was ALSO road-raced in a 50 cc moped endurance race at Langbaugh Circuit but it certainly didn't have any pedals

All throughout that very restrictive "silly law" year Mike ALSO rode it to work every day down the A19

The really stupid thing was that when at events in that his 10th. full season the lad was riding a 250 cc machine but when on the road he was restricted to this 50 ?

16Today.jpg

an important technicality: you have entitlement for 49cc. a moped is defined as 49cc with a limit of 30mph/50km/h.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online