Hello peeps buying 01 R6

herb-powers
This post is 5773 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello folks sorry another newbie here :rolleyes: im going to buy my first sports bike ye har .( currently a 450 supermoto) im going to look at a 2001 R6 with 8K miles totally standard . any advice buying tips what to look out for would be much appresiated , many thanks :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hello folks sorry another newbie here :rolleyes: im going to buy my first sports bike ye har .( currently a 450 supermoto) im going to look at a 2001 R6 with 8K miles totally standard . any advice buying tips what to look out for would be much appresiated , many thanks :D

hi mate, i have had many r6 bikes and know a thing or 2 about em ... just check for frame and fork damage , also make sure its not a x race bike and its not all lock wired, service history would be a bonus, some of the early r6 did have a gear box problem but it was rare. if your still unsure i can send you my number

thanks daz

hi mate, i have had many r6 bikes and know a thing or 2 about em ... just check for frame and fork damage , also make sure its not a x race bike and its not all lock wired, service history would be a bonus, some of the early r6 did have a gear box problem but it was rare. if your still unsure i can send you my number

thanks daz

many thanks Daz thats spot on of you , ye i did hear early R6 gearboxes were a bit cluncky but with 8K im hoping its gonna be sound , sorry for the ignorance but what is "lock wired " :blink:

cheers

many thanks Daz thats spot on of you , ye i did hear early R6 gearboxes were a bit cluncky but with 8K im hoping its gonna be sound , sorry for the ignorance but what is "lock wired " :blink:

cheers

hi again, lock wired is when sump plugs and oil caps have been wired up so that they never come loose when racing, they have small holes drilled in the sump plug then wire is threaded through. so if you see this then it may have been raced or used as a track bike.

daz

hi mate if the bike has been "lock wired" it means that any nuts ect. have been drilled so as wire can be passed through the hole and tied so as the nuts/bolts dont fall off if they become loose.(same idea as a split pin). this has to be done on race bikes to pass scrutineering. look around the bike for any tell-tale signs of drilling that looks aftermarket,e.g. oil filler cap,exhaust mounts,foot pegs. go :rolleyes: od luck with the bike.

hi mate if the bike has been "lock wired" it means that any nuts ect. have been drilled so as wire can be passed through the hole and tied so as the nuts/bolts dont fall off if they become loose.(same idea as a split pin). this has to be done on race bikes to pass scrutineering. look around the bike for any tell-tale signs of drilling that looks aftermarket,e.g. oil filler cap,exhaust mounts,foot pegs. go :rolleyes: od luck with the bike.

Aaaaaaaaaaa i see :huh: many thanks again boys and i look forward to getting a R6 its a big help owning a bike when there is a great bunch of clued up friendly guys on a forum , many thanks again and im afraid you might be gettin a few more dodgey questions :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online