fz1 n idle problems

0nthecase
This post is 5296 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

HI FOLKS, COULD ANY ONE HELP ME WITH A PROBLEM I HAVE ON MY FZ1 N, WHEN STARTED FROM COLD IT TICKS OVER AS IT SHOULD ON CHOKE AT AROUND 2 RPM THEN AFTER A COUPLE OF MINS IT REVS TO 3500 RPM AND STAYS THERE, BEFORE I PUT IT AWAY FOR WINTER IN SEPTEMBER I HAD NO PROBLEM WITH IT AT ALL BUT I START IT UP EVERY 3 WEEKS OR SO AND THATS HOW I NOTICED THE PROBLEM, ITS FITTED WITH A DYNOJET POWER COMANNDER AND FULL AKRAPOVIC SYSTEM AND I WAS TOLD WHEN I BOUGHT IT THAT IT HAD BEEN SET UP/MAPPED . COULD IT BE JUST THE COLD WEATHER OR MAY BE IT NEEDS SETTING UP AGAIN, IS IT POSSIBLE THE CHOKE IS STICKING. ANY IDEAS FOLKS BEFORE I TAKE IT TO THE LOCAL DEALERS.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

HI FOLKS, COULD ANY ONE HELP ME WITH A PROBLEM I HAVE ON MY FZ1 N, WHEN STARTED FROM COLD IT TICKS OVER AS IT SHOUD ON CHOKE AT AROUND 2 RPM THEN AFTER A COUPLE OF MINS IT REVS TO 3500 RPM AND STAYS THERE, BEFORE I PUT IT AWAY FOR WINTER IN SEPTEMBER I HAD NO PROBLEM WITH IT AT ALL BUT I START IT UP EVERY 3 WEEKS OR SO AND THATS HOW I NOTICED THE PROBLEM, ITS FITTED WITH A DYNOJET POWER COMANNDER AND FULL AKRAPOVIC SYSTEM AND I WAS TOLD WHEN I BOUGHT IT THAT IT HAD BEEN SET UP/MAPPED . COULD IT BE JUST THE COLD WEATHER OR MAY BE IT NEEDS SETTING UP AGAIN, IS IT POSSIBLE THE CHOKE IS STICKING. ANY IDEAS FOLKS BEFORE I TAKE IT TO THE LOCAL DEALERS.

I'm not a fan of starting bikes up that are away for the winter myself, huge amount of condensation will be produced in the engine, especially a big motor like that. If you must, then take it out for a good ride until all trace of vapour has gone from the exhaust and the motor is hot.

I'm not a fan of starting bikes up that are away for the winter myself, huge amount of condensation will be produced in the engine, especially a big motor like that. If you must, then take it out for a good ride until all trace of vapour has gone from the exhaust and the motor is hot.

yea thanks for the advice, like i said it was fine before it was put away for the winter, do you think that may be the course of the problem, condensation....

thanks daz

You might be surprised just how much the weather can effect things like this. ;)

hi , yea it may be just a weather thing as it was running fine before i put it away for the winter, a good ride out may sort the problem

thanks daz

yea thanks for the advice, like i said it was fine before it was put away for the winter, do you think that may be the course of the problem, condensation....

thanks daz

It may be, i dunno for sure but all i can say for certain is when my bandit gets started up in spring following a winter lay off its rough as a bears untill its been run to hot, you can barely open the throttle without it cutting out, After that; its absolutely fine. That condensation needs to be all burned off or you have water in your oil and engine, not good!!

Why rush to the dealers now if its laid up, see how it is when you resurrect it in spring.

It may be, i dunno for sure but all i can say for certain is when my bandit gets started up in spring following a winter lay off its rough as a bears untill its been run to hot, you can barely open the throttle without it cutting out, After that; its absolutely fine. That condensation needs to be all burned off or you have water in your oil and engine, not good!!

Why rush to the dealers now if its laid up, see how it is when you resurrect it in spring.

yea why run to the dealers when it was running fine through the summer. think i may be worry in to much after all..

thanks mate

HI FOLKS, COULD ANY ONE HELP ME WITH A PROBLEM I HAVE ON MY FZ1 N, WHEN STARTED FROM COLD IT TICKS OVER AS IT SHOULD ON CHOKE AT AROUND 2 RPM THEN AFTER A COUPLE OF MINS IT REVS TO 3500 RPM AND STAYS THERE, BEFORE I PUT IT AWAY FOR WINTER IN SEPTEMBER I HAD NO PROBLEM WITH IT AT ALL BUT I START IT UP EVERY 3 WEEKS OR SO AND THATS HOW I NOTICED THE PROBLEM, ITS FITTED WITH A DYNOJET POWER COMANNDER AND FULL AKRAPOVIC SYSTEM AND I WAS TOLD WHEN I BOUGHT IT THAT IT HAD BEEN SET UP/MAPPED . COULD IT BE JUST THE COLD WEATHER OR MAY BE IT NEEDS SETTING UP AGAIN, IS IT POSSIBLE THE CHOKE IS STICKING. ANY IDEAS FOLKS BEFORE I TAKE IT TO THE LOCAL DEALERS.

hello there mate, had this problem last year ,after a couple of days got up one morning to find mi alarm goin off so charged mi battery and it went back to runnin normal on choke. hope this helps :D

if you start your bike up after a long lay-up and it won't take any throttle, thats a sure sign the petrol has gone-off. Might be worth chucking some fuel conditioner in before you stow the bike away.

modern unleaded goes off real quick, bikes are uber-sensitive to this.

hello there mate, had this problem last year ,after a couple of days got up one morning to find mi alarm goin off so charged mi battery and it went back to runnin normal on choke. hope this helps :D

hi mate, you had the same problem then, do ya think its a battery problem cos i was thinkin more like re mapping it again , its got a full akraprovik system and power commander and thought the cold weather was making it go funny. shall i put it on a optimate for a while and see how it goes. thanks daz

if you start your bike up after a long lay-up and it won't take any throttle, thats a sure sign the petrol has gone-off. Might be worth chucking some fuel conditioner in before you stow the bike away.

modern unleaded goes off real quick, bikes are uber-sensitive to this.

yea may also put some fresh fuel in it so see if that cures the problem, as i say it was fine before it was put away in september for the winter, just never had this problem with any other yamaha bikes i had.

daz

hi mate, you had the same problem then, do ya think its a battery problem cos i was thinkin more like re mapping it again , its got a full akraprovik system and power commander and thought the cold weather was making it go funny. shall i put it on a optimate for a while and see how it goes. thanks daz

it worked for me, the only other thing that caused me a worry was it ran a little uneven before i serviced it

last spring . i ran it through winter and you shouldave seen the state of the air filter!! mines an 06 and runs about 1500rpm on choke and around 1100 normal ,weather hasnt seemed to alter it much,im running a pc111 (standard can and velocity stacs from an 06 r1) if any thing it runs crisper when its cold whether

chatin to someone today he says when you first turn the key you here a servo turning. does it sond normal because it controls the amount of fuel sent to the injectors, he thinks if its got damp\mucky it might cause problem!

chatin to someone today he says when you first turn the key you here a servo turning. does it sond normal because it controls the amount of fuel sent to the injectors, he thinks if its got damp\mucky it might cause problem!

hi, you can hear the servo motor turning when the key is turned but the servo wired have been cable tied out the way on my fz1 as it had a full race system fitted.

hi, you can hear the servo motor turning when the key is turned but the servo wired have been cable tied out the way on my fz1 as it had a full race system fitted.

its not the one for the EXUP valve , this one primes your throttle bodies but im guessing its gonna be hard to distinguish

its not the one for the EXUP valve , this one primes your throttle bodies but im guessing its gonna be hard to distinguish

its called the 'sub throttle servomotor' and its on the right hand side of the throtle bodies

its called the 'sub throttle servomotor' and its on the right hand side of the throtle bodies

[/quot

Yamaha FZ1 1000 Service Manual :

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/whitem/Servic...n%20Faz1000.zip

yea got ya, ill look into it mate an see what i can find out. thanks daz

• 2 weeks later...

yea got ya, ill look into it mate an see what i can find out. thanks daz

now sorted, the problem was the choke plunger was stuck/seized (fast idle valve) so needed to be removed cleaned and lubed up so not a big job and no parts needed, the main dealers said they have only had one more fz1 n in with the same problem so its not gonna be a re call job, thanks for those who replied .......

• 9 months later...

HI MY NAME IS NIKO I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MINE AFTER BEING IN GREECE FOR NEARLY TWO YEARS AND THE BIKE WAS SITTING...ANY WAY...THE PROBLEM IS COMING FROM A THERMO WAX VALVE THATS ON THE THROTTLE BODYS WHICH EXPANDS TO DROP IDDLE ONCE HOT...I DONT KNOW IF YOU CAN CHANGE THE VALVE ONLY BUT THEY CHANGED MY THROTTELE BODIES.... I HAVE EXTENDED WARRANTY SO I DIDNT HAVE TO PAY ANYTHING BUT THAT WAS IT IV NEVER HEARD OF A VALVE LIKE THAT EVEN THOUGHT IV OWNED A LOT OF BIKES... I HOPE IV HELPED YOU AND I HOP THEY SELL THE VALVE BY ITSELF..

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online