sr 250 pick up coil

shed hermit
This post is 5712 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

brother-inlaw has an sr250 with ignition problems. bike was running but cut out and would run intermitently. new coil fitted, plug,all connections checked,has been told now it is the pick up coil. is there any way of testing them and would a pick up from another yamaha model fit it? he lives 200 miles away and i cant get the bike to my shed to check it out. any help much appreciated. thanks

• 1 month later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, you replied to my post about a similar problem.. Mine turned out not to be the pickup as I changed it and the same problem still occured..

I was told the CDI could go out intermittently and cause all sorts of issues that seem like something else so I changed mine along with the carb and its much better.. I wish I could say it was definitly the CDI but with the carb change at the same time who knows.. I should put the old CDI back on and see if it goes back to crap or still runs..

At the moment I'm dealing with what I think is a jetting issue..

Make sure you check his carb out real good, check the diaphram, fuel level and cleanliness.. Its very easy on that bike.. Check the air gap between the pickup coil and the flywheel.. should be no less then .6 (I forget if thats in or mm), make sure the batery has a good chage.. Make sure the handlebar kill switch works like it should.. Might want to get a new spark plug just to be safe and make sure the spark plug boot isn't worn out.. You might unscrew it from the wire lead, cut about 2 mm off of the wire lead to expose some fresh wire and re-screw it on there nice and tight.. Check the ground wire on the motor too, clean it up..

Its an easy bike to work on so these things won't take much time..

Once I get mine jetted right I'll try putting my old CDI on to see if its a good unit or not, then I will be able to tell you if in fact it was the problem with the intermittent running problems I was having like yours.. If my old CDI is bad that was my problem all along and is most likely yours too.. If my old CDI is good then my old carb was my problem all along..

talk to ya soon.. good luck.. -Joe

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online