83 maxim 400 valve check

83400maxim
This post is 5752 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well last year I bought an 83 maxim 400 DOHC with about 4500 miles on it.. Now it has 8000... I'm just wondering what the valve check intervals are on these bikes? How often do they need checked and how hard are they to check? Also, if out of spec how hard are they to adjust on this bike? Its winter so I do have some spare time and can't ride anyways but I dont want to mess with it if it isnt necessary. Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well last year I bought an 83 maxim 400 DOHC with about 4500 miles on it.. Now it has 8000... I'm just wondering what the valve check intervals are on these bikes? How often do they need checked and how hard are they to check? Also, if out of spec how hard are they to adjust on this bike? Its winter so I do have some spare time and can't ride anyways but I dont want to mess with it if it isnt necessary. Thanks!

get yourself a manual, as it will list all regular maintenance jobs and give you an idea what your in for!!

get yourself a manual, as it will list all regular maintenance jobs and give you an idea what your in for!!

I found a manual for an 82' seca.... would that be the same engine as an 83' maxim?

and it lists the intervals as every 2000 miles (assuming its the same engine)..... the job itself doesnt look difficult but every 2k seems excessive and i was hoping for maybe a more realistic interval which people have expeirenced

I found a manual for an 82' seca.... would that be the same engine as an 83' maxim?

and it lists the intervals as every 2000 miles (assuming its the same engine)..... the job itself doesnt look difficult but every 2k seems excessive and i was hoping for maybe a more realistic interval which people have expeirenced

same engine, just do them anualy and keep the oil clean.

might be bucket and shims (not too sure on the dohc)

I rode an '82 Seca400 for 40k miles.......only shimmed the valves once in that time. ;)

Haha good to know... I actually have an 06' gsxr 750 that I take out when I'm going for more than 50-60 miles though its funny since I picked up the Maxim as a beater bike to run errands and such, its aquired more miles than the 750. I've gotten to used to being able to leave it outside and jump on it everytime I need to go somewhere quick or even for a short ride so Im deciding to fix it up a bit this winter and at least keep it mechanically in good shape.

As a side note.... Does anyone else feel a void in the US bike market for bikes in the 400-500 cc range? I understand that the demand in the US is not there for them but personally I feel they are the perfect size for a commuter bike (perhaps a bit weak if the highway is involved) Also I love all the old UJM's .. I prefer to have my feet under me, not 3 feet out in front as all the new cruisers are. Only new bike that catches my eye are the Bonnevilles

As a side note.... Does anyone else feel a void in the US bike market for bikes in the 400-500 cc range? I understand that the demand in the US is not there for them but personally I feel they are the perfect size for a commuter bike (perhaps a bit weak if the highway is involved) Also I love all the old UJM's .. I prefer to have my feet under me, not 3 feet out in front as all the new cruisers are. Only new bike that catches my eye are the Bonnevilles

No, you're not the only one. 250cc is too small for comfortably going 60mph, and 600+cc gets heavy in town and uses a lot of gas. 350-400cc bikes are perfect for 55-65mph travel as well as in town, are relatively light weight and use very little gas (between 55-75mpg normally). But for some reason you can't buy them (new) in the US anymore. I wish you could.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... got the valves checked today.. overall not bad at all.. all were within spec and over half the time was spent trying to get the old gasket off the valve cover... apparently it was glued on and was a major PITA to get off. Guess now all thats left is to wait for summer to come again.... :angry:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online