DT gear box leak

Mikey*DTR
This post is 5679 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello :D

just wondering if any one else has had there gear selector shaft seal leak on them?

had it replaced before just went in the shed to see the bike as its all wrapped up for winter to see gear box oil on the floor and seal weeping just wondered if its a common fault or something...no big deal i surpose

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello :D

just wondering if any one else has had there gear selector shaft seal leak on them?

had it replaced before just went in the shed to see the bike as its all wrapped up for winter to see gear box oil on the floor and seal weeping just wondered if its a common fault or something...no big deal i surpose

shouldnt leak, who replaced it? arent you using it anymore? gonna get a bigger bike and sell it?....all these questions :rolleyes:

shouldnt leak, who replaced it? arent you using it anymore? gonna get a bigger bike and sell it?....all these questions :rolleyes:

i no it shouldnt but it is... :) a local bike mech replaced it 6months ago..wonder if i put the new one in myself using some sealant whats behind the seal OG? is it a bearing or something? nope not using it in this weather il ruin the car instead cant put my beutiful bike through this! yerp guna sell it june but il prob have a bigger bike before that hopefully feb march time...

i no it shouldnt but it is... :) a local bike mech replaced it 6months ago..wonder if i put the new one in myself using some sealant whats behind the seal OG? is it a bearing or something? nope not using it in this weather il ruin the car instead cant put my beutiful bike through this! yerp guna sell it june but il prob have a bigger bike before that hopefully feb march time...

If its owt like mine its just a seal in a recessed hole, if youre gonna have a go at replacing it you may be able to drill a small hole in it either side of the shaft, then screw some self tappers in and pull it out by pulling the screws. be careful if you try it as you only want to drill the seal, not the aluminium case behind it!!! Also you should wrap a layer of tape around the shaft splines when fitting a new one, this will protect the seal as you slide it over the shaft, its a possibility that yours is now leaking because this wasnt done. :icon_sad:

If its owt like mine its just a seal in a recessed hole, if youre gonna have a go at replacing it you may be able to drill a small hole in it either side of the shaft, then screw some self tappers in and pull it out by pulling the screws. be careful if you try it as you only want to drill the seal, not the aluminium case behind it!!! Also you should wrap a layer of tape around the shaft splines when fitting a new one, this will protect the seal as you slide it over the shaft, its a possibility that yours is now leaking because this wasnt done. :icon_sad:

hmm yer mine sounds exactly like yours put it up on a scissor stadn today to have a closer look and seen the seal wasnt sat in correctly im guessing its vibrated or shocked itself out slightly as the bottom was proud pushed it in properly using a punch and light taps on a hammer and got it seated nicely (this is the old seal btw) cleaned it up just to see if it leaks the rest of the oil in there....ordered a seal today so we will see what happens...good idea about the self tappers tho nice 1.

do you think if i put the new seal on and put some sealant on the inner recessed hole just a tiny amount to hold the seal firmly?

cheers OG

do you think if i put the new seal on and put some sealant on the inner recessed hole just a tiny amount to hold the seal firmly?

cheers OG

Should'nt need it Mikey, it should be tight enough to stay put without adding extra sealant., when you do it lean your bike to the right so the oil runs away to the other side of the engine, it will save draining it