Loose spokes on Dragstar rear wheel

AustenM
This post is 5763 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, I bought a complete "new" rear wheel/tyre for my Dragstar after my original wheel had 2 broken off spokes...I said "new" because it was second hand but had never been used on the other bike, the guy had bought his Dragstar to trike it and I got a "new" wheel, but I had to tighten the spokes first and then 6-9 months later I had noticed they were loose again. They are clean and they still look brand new, is there anything I can do or any product I can use to "glue" them or threadlock them? Or do I need new spokes?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You should tighten your spokes before and after the 'break-in' period on a new Drag.

The Haynes manual gives directions on how to balance your wheels, properly tighten the spoke system and make sure it's running central. Properly tightened, they should hold in place very nicely and give a solid ring when tapped with a spanner.

Get it sorted now, though.

Loose spokes can lead to a failure of the spoke system. Your back wheel will simply explode apart. Probably when you're doing 90 down the motorway. Is very dangerous - Fix immediately!!!

The maual is probably the best investment you could make in any bike, Haynes ones are OK, but you can get the Yamaha Workshop Service Manual on-line for less, and they are much better, as long as you have some mechanical knowledge.

Do a search on fleec-u-bay for XSV650 workshop manual, shouldn't cost you more than £5 - £10 quid for it all on CD.

If it's one or two spokes that are loose then your wheel is unlikely to be out of shape, but you really must get it sorted. I get loose spokes on my dirt bike all the time, I just nip them up and check the wheel everytime I service her (every 12 weeks or so).

The temp can make a diference too, in the summer when everything expands you might find them geting loose, then in the winter everythign will tighten up - so make sure you check them, too tight can lead to snapped spokes - and I've had a few of them too.......

Then again, I'm comparing my experience on the dirt with road riding, and lets face it, road bikes have it easy really.

Thanks guys I have both manuals and followed the instructions, just didn't expect the spokes to loosen so quickly. I have tightened them up and centered them again and will keep an eye on them.

Thanks again.