need exhaust suggestions for a '82 seca xs400rj

olivers
This post is 5360 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone,

first post here.. woohooo :)

I'm rebuilding a xs400rj.. so far i'm doing great... got the engine running great and missing quite small things but getting there.. basically some TLC... bike was driven til it stopped. :(

took apart the exhaust pipes today & noticed the slip on exhaust portion is rotten.. hole in the can and baffles inside are destroyed.

So, i'm looking for suggesting to make this bike look good. I dont want the same cone shaped muffler but something with a more sporty look. any suggestions appreciated. the header pipe is in great shape and i'm currently sandblasting it and will paint it with VHT paint a flat black.

i'm thinking something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=360114500074

I know i'll most likely have to fab. some brackets as well as weld some adapters.. but i'm up to the challenge.

Anything i should worry about.. the current one was a wide open exhaust i believe ( not much restriction )..

Cheers,

Oliver

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I did 40k miles on my old XS400RJ.......miss that Bike! :wub:

I do know that V&H also makes nice can & 2-1 system for 'em.......almost bought another 400Seca a coupla years back, with that exhaust on it.....sounded great. B) ....but alas it was sold before I could scrape up the cash. <_<

BTW.... :welcome: to the forum

XS400.jpg

Do you mean somthing like this ????????

As far as I am aware they are no longer available in the UK,, :( but as you are in Canada,you may be have more luck than us and be able to get one from the USA.

The one on the bike in the pic was made as a one off special for the bike.

XS400.jpg

Do you mean somthing like this ????????

As far as I am aware they are no longer available in the UK,, :( but as you are in Canada,you may be have more luck than us and be able to get one from the USA.

The one on the bike in the pic was made as a one off special for the bike.

yess.. thats what i'm looking for.. or even a bit shubbier and shorter. but this would be great.

I'm mainly wondering if I should stick with a certain size or type so i dont damage the engine.. or it doesn't really apply to my model ? ( i mean pressure wise )

as for the lighting.. the current lights and blinkers are shot.. I've found this company that seems real descent and would give another look to the bike.. ( i'm not a fan of the square light )

http://webhosting.web.com/imagelib/sitebui...ht%20Windscreen

thanks again for all the replies!

xs40022.jpg

Front headlight is from a 1982 Suzuki GS650GT, that i had spare in the garage and the front indicators are from a Suzuki Bandit.rear indicators are from a Kawasaki..

looking great !

i'm thinking that 7" light kit from aztec8 looks great.

i'd also get the led flashers and the proper electronic relay so the lights flash properly.

thanks for the info and picture :)

looking great !

i'm thinking that 7" light kit from aztec8 looks great.

i'd also get the led flashers and the proper electronic relay so the lights flash properly.

thanks for the info and picture :)

Oh.. any chance you'd know the diameter in mm of the fork ?

• 1 month later...

I had made an update on this thread, but i guess the crash took it out.

so here goes:

new exhaust is in, had to fabricate some parts, mainly the piece that attaches the headers to the exhaust.

I removed the gauges as well as all the lighting ( I hated the square lights and gauges ) also removed the flashers.

bought a kit from Aztec8 and will be installing it as soon as it arrives. For the gauges, I picked up a set of xs400j which have individual cases for the gauges. They were not in the greatest shape, so i'll have to gutt my current gauges to mix/match broken parts.

here is a pic of the exhaust setup.

I also started repainting my bike ( not shown in that picture ) a dark blue ( old yamaha blue.. but not a yamaha color, just a duplicolor from canadiantire ) I may have to sandblast the tank to do a good job, the previous owner did an horrible job at painting, there are paint streaks all over the place.

_MG_4764-s.jpg

I'm now looking for the diaphragm, screws and top cap for the master cylinder as well as gas tank emblems.

anybody have or know where I can find these items, let me know,

I tried the yamahapartshouse but shipping is incredibly high on such inexpensive/tiny parts.

should look on german ebay as they are very popular there.

I occasionaly visit xs400 with google translator on and there are loads of info there. just get your head round the pidgeon english translation.

called the 12e model

These should still be avlaible from your yamaha agent.

thanks,

i'll give them a shout.

Any idea if its safe to sandblast a gas tank.

By safe I mean, is the metal thick enough to handle being sandblasted ?

I've been sandblasting parts on the bike here and there with great results, but they were either solid steel or thick material.

I'm worried i'll dent the tank.

reason for doing this, way too many coats of paints were applied over the years by previous owners and its filled with drips everywhere.. I thought of sanding it down.but its in there way too deep.. i'm thinking a nice fresh steel can would be great and should be the "proper" way to take care of this problem..

I could reduce the sandblasting pressure from 120psi to 90psi to make it more gentle.

I currently use non-silica based sand.. looks like green glass or sand.

any thoughts on this ?

i wouldn't. vapour blasting would be better or chemical dip

I started sandblasting it yesterday..

its in worst shape then I imagined..

the previous owner put a ton of bondo as well as welded to pieces on... and quite a few tiny holes on the sides.

Im thinking of patching those holes with JB weld.

I'll finish the sandblasting and decide if its usable.

if not, I guess i'll order a new one from the dealership ? hoping they can still get one ??

I started sandblasting it yesterday..

its in worst shape then I imagined..

the previous owner put a ton of bondo as well as welded to pieces on... and quite a few tiny holes on the sides.

Im thinking of patching those holes with JB weld.

I'll finish the sandblasting and decide if its usable.

if not, I guess i'll order a new one from the dealership ? hoping they can still get one ??

I'd start looking on ebay straight away!!

• 1 month later...

I'd start looking on ebay straight away!!

I've found just about all the parts I needed on ebay.

I must say its definitely harder to find parts for this bike then the other 2 i've rebuilt.

I ended up patching the tank to the best of my habilities... I'm no artist as you can see he he

( Still wish I could purchase a new one at a descent price ) ( 575$cdn is a bit much... or find a quality used tank )

here are some updated pics :)

_MG_5164-cs.jpg

_MG_5165-cs.jpg

so list of some of the major new stuff:

tires

brakes

lights

horn

exhaust

gauges from a maxim same year ( direct plug-in is great ! )

fairings, back handles and other plastic/metal pieces.

• 9 months later...

I've found just about all the parts I needed on ebay.

I must say its definitely harder to find parts for this bike then the other 2 i've rebuilt.

I ended up patching the tank to the best of my habilities... I'm no artist as you can see he he

( Still wish I could purchase a new one at a descent price ) ( 575$cdn is a bit much... or find a quality used tank )

here are some updated pics :)

so list of some of the major new stuff:

tires

brakes

lights

horn

exhaust

gauges from a maxim same year ( direct plug-in is great ! )

fairings, back handles and other plastic/metal pieces.

Where did you get those pipes?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online