Electrical Fault finding

Mr. Alex
This post is 5766 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

I've had a little problem on my 2000 FZR600 for a while in that the Rev Counter jumps to random positions then back to zero and occasionally works briefly.

It appears the Rev counter runs on three wires. All of which have good continuity end to end. Now the Brown Wire runs from the electronic ignition to the counter and carries the signal. This wire seems to have some continuity with another wire on the ignition circuit (red & white).

That's about as far as I can get with it. I can see the fault on my meter but don't know how to find it on the bike.

Both wires concerned are part of the main loom and terminate in pretty complex connector blocks. How can I find where abouts on the cable run the fault exists.

Any help really appreciated.

Cheers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi im an auto electrician and when i need to find a fault in a wire i have tool that sends a signal down the wire and a box that pics the signal up so you can chase it in the loom my one is a snap on one but you can buy a cheap one from seley tools i think its the same . Also check all your earth point are good and spray the connectors whit a good electrical spry. Hope this helps . Shaun

Hi All,

I've had a little problem on my 2000 FZR600 for a while in that the Rev Counter jumps to random positions then back to zero and occasionally works briefly.

It appears the Rev counter runs on three wires. All of which have good continuity end to end. Now the Brown Wire runs from the electronic ignition to the counter and carries the signal. This wire seems to have some continuity with another wire on the ignition circuit (red & white).

That's about as far as I can get with it. I can see the fault on my meter but don't know how to find it on the bike.

Both wires concerned are part of the main loom and terminate in pretty complex connector blocks. How can I find where abouts on the cable run the fault exists.

Cheers.

Hi im an auto electrician and when i need to find a fault in a wire i have tool that sends a signal down the wire and a box that pics the signal up so you can chase it in the loom my one is a snap on one but you can buy a cheap one from seley tools i think its the same . Also check all your earth point are good and spray the connectors whit a good electrical spry. Hope this helps . Shaun

Thanks JoyRider,

I found a site called www.toolshopdirect.co.uk whch sells various testers including some useful looking gadgets which pierce the insulation for testing where a break may be.

These also look useful for poking into the connector blocks which are pretty tight to get a probe into at the best of times.

I reckon my problem is two wires touching somewhere. Do you know an obvious way to find this type of problem. I'm reckoning I may need to do some serious unravelling of tape but maybe just replacing the wire is a better bet. What do yer reckon ?

These also look useful for poking into the connector blocks which are pretty tight to get a probe into at the best of times.

I sometimes use a couple of paper clips if I cant get access with test leads, just straighten them out and poke them into the connector block. ;)

I sometimes use a couple of paper clips if I cant get access with test leads, just straighten them out and poke them into the connector block. ;)

Good idea, you could even leave one end folded to get the crocs onto. :rolleyes:

I tried using a probe with a sharp end to test my grip heaters, it worked a treat. It proved the fault was right up by where the wire goes into the grip itself. OK I couldn't fix it cos not enough spare wire but it proved I did the right thing by getting some new ones. Man it was cold on the hands last Monday on way to the NEC Bike Show. Still, Top day out though.

Still looking for my touching wires. :rolleyes:

Thanks JoyRider,

I found a site called www.toolshopdirect.co.uk which sells various testers including some useful looking gadgets which pierce the insulation for testing where a break may be.

I reckon my problem is two wires touching somewhere. Do you know an obvious way to find this type of problem. I'm reckoning I may need to do some serious unravelling of tape but maybe just replacing the wire is a better bet. What do yer reckon ?

Hi bud ye if you no which wires are gone then as a fast fix you can just run new wires in but make sure that no other wires are getting mashed .If you wont a proper job trace the fault first and then put new part in and solder and heat shrink is the best way and the re-tape the loom .Whats it doing anyway is ti blowing fuses ?

Thanks joy rider.

Cheers.

If each end is unplugged at its connector, tacho+ignitor box, is it then that you are getting this continuity between wires?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online