The FLU

mark h
This post is 5685 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Mon,7am, All`s well, 9am, In bed convulsing like i`m having E.C.T.

I`m not talking sniffle`s and shake`s here, Ah i hear you cynic`s cry, Man Flu,

Not a bit of it, I`m talking jaw breaking bone snapping full blow convulsions here,

NEVER in my life have i felt so ill, I was offered a flu jab a while back, (being a career).

"Thankyou no" say`s I, " I`m made of sterner stuff," (What a pompous fool).

This FLU got me on my back quicker than a slant eyed dancing girl, (which i`m quite fond of).

Now i must explain here, i`m no shrinking violet, I`m 6ft, 13st, fit and healthy,

22years a marine commando, 5years a legionnaire, and an old school biker FOR FCUK SAKE.

I just don`t capitchulate that easy, But i`m sat her now typing this felling like a sad OLD man.

So the moral is... If your offered this jab, Snap he`s bleedin hands off, Don`t be brave (stupid)

Drop your trousers there and then,

DON`T DELEY... DO IT TODAY

P.S. Going for a burn at first light, That`ll put the smile back on my face.

HEY HO, "TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY"

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

News flash mate!

The flu jab gives you the flu! What kind of you suffer with may not be covered by the flu you have been "protected against"! I say this coz i know people that were 60/65 before getting this jab & never had a problem with flu in their lifetime, all had flu afterwards & God rest their souls a few died coz of it. I also now a few people that refuse point blank to have it & they're fitter than me (much to my shame being 45) at the tender age of 82.

But hey, what do I know.

News flash mate!

The flu jab gives you the flu! What kind of you suffer with may not be covered by the flu you have been "protected against"! I say this coz i know people that were 60/65 before getting this jab & never had a problem with flu in their lifetime, all had flu afterwards & God rest their souls a few died coz of it. I also now a few people that refuse point blank to have it & they're fitter than me (much to my shame being 45) at the tender age of 82.

But hey, what do I know.

Thats not true

The influenza vaccine contains no live virus and cannot therefore cause flu.

Some people may experience mild flu-like symptoms for up to 48 hours after immunisation as their immune system responds to the vaccine, but this is not flu.

In the elderly, protection against infection may be less, due to fraility and a weakened immune system due to aging or other medical conditions, but immunisation has been shown to reduce the incidence of bronchopneumonia, hospital admissions and death in the elderly. Even if an elderly person is fit and healthy they are still vulnerable, purely because of their age.

Sometimes a vaccine does not completely prevent the disease, but it will make the disease much less serious if you do get it. :D

Hope you're feeling better soon Mark ;)

Mon,7am, All`s well, 9am, In bed convulsing like i`m having E.C.T.

I`m not talking sniffle`s and shake`s here, Ah i hear you cynic`s cry, Man Flu,

Not a bit of it, I`m talking jaw breaking bone snapping full blow convulsions here,

NEVER in my life have i felt so ill, I was offered a flu jab a while back, (being a career).

"Thankyou no" say`s I, " I`m made of sterner stuff," (What a pompous fool).

This FLU got me on my back quicker than a slant eyed dancing girl, (which i`m quite fond of).

Now i must explain here, i`m no shrinking violet, I`m 6ft, 13st, fit and healthy,

22years a marine commando, 5years a legionnaire, and an old school biker FOR FCUK SAKE.

I just don`t capitchulate that easy, But i`m sat her now typing this felling like a sad OLD man.

So the moral is... If your offered this jab, Snap he`s bleedin hands off, Don`t be brave (stupid)

Drop your trousers there and then,

DON`T DELEY... DO IT TODAY

P.S. Going for a burn at first light, That`ll put the smile back on my face.coz my job i had the jab ihad the flu 2 years ago never again iwas 10 stone 6 back then i went to 9 an harf in 3 days sh.t me up thought i was going to die

now every year i get the jab im not gong down that roar again still get the common cold and yes fill a bit dick sfter the jab but its worth it all day long u get the chance go for it

HEY HO, "TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY"

Getting the FLU....always SUCKS! <_<

Haven't had a flu jab in quite a few years.......been @ least that long since I've had the flu as well. :huh:

Hope you get well soon Mark ;)

Sometimes a vaccine does not completely prevent the disease, but it will make the disease much less serious if you do get it. :D

Goff - I'm scratching my heed at this one, When I was young I had intended to become a vet - a complete failure in Chemistry O level (when exams where still hard!) caused a change in direction to Engineering and my path was marked!!!

Anyway, thinking back to my Biology (Got a B at O level in that), but it was a long time ago so I might be (almost certainly will be) wrong, but,,,,

I though you could only vacinate against a 'bug' or disease ie something that invades your body - like meningitis for instance. Wheras the Flu is a Virus, and as such invades the cells - so a vacination agaist the cells would (unless it's very cleaver) would cause your body to kill itself.

I recall something about White Blood Cells mimicking the outer shell of the 'bug' causing it to self destruct, but this doesn't happen with a virus as it relies on a host body cell ???

There is also a big poster up in our Quacks telling you that if you have a cold stay at home - as there's no pills available to get rid of it.

So this whole Flu thing is a bit of a mystery to me - or is there more to placebo than we are told.......

Thats not true

Some people may experience mild flu-like symptoms for up to 48 hours after immunisation as their immune system responds to the vaccine, but this is not flu.

In the elderly, protection against infection may be less, due to fraility and a weakened immune system due to aging or other medical conditions, but immunisation has been shown to reduce the incidence of bronchopneumonia, hospital admissions and death in the elderly. Even if an elderly person is fit and healthy they are still vulnerable, purely because of their age.

Hope you're feeling better soon Mark ;)

well my love i have to agree with you being fit and healthy does not stop you getting the flu it might mean you survive if you are older i always have the flu jab since having many health problems, i was also like mark a soldier for most of my life and also felt i was tough but shit when i had the flu in 2001 i lost 2 stone in weight and never felt so ill ,you think if you have a bad cold you have the flu but when you do get the flu only then do you realise how bad it is, since then i have had the flu jab every year and never even had a cold maybe a coincidence but who cares how it works i neither know or care but it works

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online