best tips for stripping a frame?

HoggyF
This post is 5770 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

I'm underway with my first rebuild and wondered what the suggestions were for stripping the paint off the frame of my XT. Dont really want to spend the money on sandblasting so wondered if it was the wire brush in the drill or whether paint stripper was any good.

All advice greatly recieved

Thanks

Hoggy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all

I'm underway with my first rebuild and wondered what the suggestions were for stripping the paint off the frame of my XT. Dont really want to spend the money on sandblasting so wondered if it was the wire brush in the drill or whether paint stripper was any good.

Thanks

Hoggy

The best stuff i have used is NitroMors. Just scratch the paint deeply, paint it on, and leave for 10 minutes, and the paint will literally fall off. Just dont mix it with hot water, cos that then becomes Mustard Gas.

Hi all

Thanks

Hoggy

So i expect youre going to spray it yourself then, yes its painted from the factory so paint stripper and a selection of wire brushes both powered and hand would do the job, might take a while, but who cares, refurbs shouldnt be rushed. if you do use paint stripper, wear goggles and also with the wire brushing, you wouldnt want that stuff in your eyes! Might be an idea to paint a layer of rust cure solution on the bare frame before re-painting too, you will need to suspend the frame from something (tie it up to the rafters) so you can spray all over including underneath, give it all a wipe down with a lint free rag thats dampened with white spirit to clean and de grease it before the rust cure and painting process.

there's a company in preston that chemically dips frame etc.

tripple s will sandblast and powder coat your frame for £75. based in bingley not too far from you!!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online