81 XS400 Starter Clutch Rebuild Kit

MarkRoberto
This post is 5769 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I didn't try Yamaha. I guess I just assumed the bike was too old. Called them up and ordered the parts I need. Thanks for the tip!

Now, I have another question regarding the sprocket that the clutch grips on. As you can see in the photo below, the inner bushing is proud of the hub on the sprocket. You can also see the wear marks on the outer diameter of the hub which do not go down to the bottom of the hub. My question is, should that bushing be flush with the surface of the hub so that the sprocket is fully engaged by the clutch pins/rollers?

IMG_0345.jpg

Thanks for the help everyone!

just checked a spare i have and the bush is level with the bevelled edge of the sprocket. ie approx 1mm below the surface.

the wear marks you show correspond with the one I have here!!

hope that helps

drewps

Thanks Drewpy! That does help. I'll get it pushed back in and hopefully it'll work come spring. The only other thing I need to investigate once the bike is out of storage is why the starter chain has worn a groove in a couple of the ribs on the engine forward of the crankshaft. I'm hoping it's because of the bushing being pushed out but I'll have to look at it more closely once it's apart again. Here's hoping it's a short winter in Ontario this year!

Cheers!

Mark

Thanks Drewpy! That does help. I'll get it pushed back in and hopefully it'll work come spring. The only other thing I need to investigate once the bike is out of storage is why the starter chain has worn a groove in a couple of the ribs on the engine forward of the crankshaft. I'm hoping it's because of the bushing being pushed out but I'll have to look at it more closely once it's apart again. Here's hoping it's a short winter in Ontario this year!

Cheers!

Mark

there should be a chain tensioner keeping the starter chain from lashing around. this wears as well as the starter chain.

I just had a look at the "tensioner" - a piece of black plastic that just pops into place, right? It has wear marks on it, but I wouldn't say that they're excessive. I also don't recall noticing that the chain was loose before I took it apart and the chain itself looks like it's in pretty good shape. I'm hoping that with the new rollers in the clutch, my issues will be solved.

I just had a look at the "tensioner" - a piece of black plastic that just pops into place, right? It has wear marks on it, but I wouldn't say that they're excessive. I also don't recall noticing that the chain was loose before I took it apart and the chain itself looks like it's in pretty good shape. I'm hoping that with the new rollers in the clutch, my issues will be solved.

new tensioners have no grooves in them , it might give you an idea how worn yours are!!