Maxim 650 carbs

mil-3
This post is 5776 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all,

I am going to look at a yamaha maxim 650 tomorrow that I found for a good price ($700). The seller says that the carbs need to be removed and cleaned and that it just needs general service and a tune up. I showed this to my brother-in-law (a very experienced motorcyclist) last night and his advice was to go for it but have the work done at a shop. I was planning on doing it myself but I am rather inexperienced. My question is, how hard is it to work on this engine? If I find a good shop manual will I be able to do the carbs on my own? Also, if I take it to a shop, what kind of money would I be looking at spending on this work? My brother-in-law told me that carbs are easy, but I shouldn't try to do it myself, and that the carbs on this particular bike look like there pretty tough to get to. Any info would be appreciated, I am really interested in buying this bike but don't want to end up spending more in work than I spent on the bike.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey all,

I am going to look at a yamaha maxim 650 tomorrow that I found for a good price ($700). The seller says that the carbs need to be removed and cleaned and that it just needs general service and a tune up. I showed this to my brother-in-law (a very experienced motorcyclist) last night and his advice was to go for it but have the work done at a shop. I was planning on doing it myself but I am rather inexperienced. My question is, how hard is it to work on this engine? If I find a good shop manual will I be able to do the carbs on my own? Also, if I take it to a shop, what kind of money would I be looking at spending on this work? My brother-in-law told me that carbs are easy, but I shouldn't try to do it myself, and that the carbs on this particular bike look like there pretty tough to get to. Any info would be appreciated, I am really interested in buying this bike but don't want to end up spending more in work than I spent on the bike.

Hi There,

Carbs on & off and cleaned could take 5 hours, the labour cost could be cut if you remove the carbs and get the shop to clean them (they will access to hi pressure air etc, which you may not). If the bike runs (reasonable) and knocks/rattles at idle carb adjustment/balance, Valve and cam chain adjustment are required, a shop should be able to that in 3 hours, but ensure the shop has a YICS shut off tool or else the wont be able to balance the carbs correctly.

As to the $700 price tag I'm not sure but have a look at this . I guess the one in London would offer better value (take into account that 1 years T&T is worth £95). So if you are thinking of a non runner $700 seems a little high perhaps $500 max ?

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online