2003 R6 Gear Problem

NOROX
This post is 5776 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I have been browsing the forums for a while now but never really done anything about registering. Anyway, hopefully no one minds my first post being a hello and a HELP!!!! at the same time :P

I purchased a lovely 2003 R6 with ~5000miles about 2 months ago. This is my first motorcycle and as for riding goes I won't say I am overly confident but do think I can handle the bike fine, but yes still getting used to it.

When I took it from the dealer I just could not fault it. It rides brilliantly but present day I seem to think something is up with the gearbox. I have spoken to the dealer and will be going to see them but thought maybe with all the Yamaha brains here someone could shed some light.

When cold changing from 1st to 2nd gear it tends to slam into gear. I can feel it through the bike. It does this for a while and only once the R6 has reached optimal temperture does it tend to go away.

Coming from a dealer all the service bits were done before I took ownership but just in case I checked things like Oil, Chain slack and Tyre pressure. I do occasionally give it the beans to keep it in tip top shape but am worried that my gearbox is one day going to fall out :(

As far as warning lights go.... There are none. The bikes computer says everything is ok.

NOROX

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi NOROX and welcome to the forum,

Its difficult to be too precise about posts such as this without actually seeing or hearing the problem, but you are an inexperienced rider and we are now coming into colder weather, in colder weather and when you first start the bike, the oil will be at its thickest and it is quite normal for the gearchanges to be clunky, The fact that it gets better as the oil warms and gets thinner is obviously a good sign, i expect the dealer may tell you the same but he does have the advantage of seeing it for himself,

Just meke sure you drop the revs when changing 1st to 2nd, and the other way a quick blip of the throttle helps

hope its nothing more serious.

Hi all,

I have been browsing the forums for a while now but never really done anything about registering. Anyway, hopefully no one minds my first post being a hello and a HELP!!!! at the same time :P

I purchased a lovely 2003 R6 with ~5000miles about 2 months ago. This is my first motorcycle and as for riding goes I won't say I am overly confident but do think I can handle the bike fine, but yes still getting used to it.

When I took it from the dealer I just could not fault it. It rides brilliantly but present day I seem to think something is up with the gearbox. I have spoken to the dealer and will be going to see them but thought maybe with all the Yamaha brains here someone could shed some light.

When cold changing from 1st to 2nd gear it tends to slam into gear. I can feel it through the bike. It does this for a while and only once the R6 has reached optimal temperture does it tend to go away.

Coming from a dealer all the service bits were done before I took ownership but just in case I checked things like Oil, Chain slack and Tyre pressure. I do occasionally give it the beans to keep it in tip top shape but am worried that my gearbox is one day going to fall out :(

As far as warning lights go.... There are none. The bikes computer says everything is ok.

NOROX hi welcome 2 the club ive got xj1300 08 and mine did the same thing i changed the iol to a semi synthtic one has

inproved it good luck

Yeah the reason I went hunting for a very low mileage motorcycle is I like to take care of my stuff. It may just be me being ultra paranoid but this is how I've always been.

Even when I owned cars, I knew how they drived and any funny noises, I thought it was having problems which needed checking. :P

Thanks for the replies. It seems just technically wise I have a whole lot of new stuff the learn compared to cars :P

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online