Dt 175mx - Help with electrical prob

numbnut
This post is 5620 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there all,

I have nearly finished my project of giving my old DT175mx a new lease of life.

I have started from scratch with new built wheels, tyres, brand new nos front and rear pipe, re-built engine with new selas and all new bearings, new spray job inc powder coating frame. Nos cables, indicaters, handlebars, plastics.

Just put a brand new battery on it and tried indicators.................you flick the switch and they take around 5 seconds to come on. Then they seem to flick ok, although the rear light seems to dim each time they flick on. even when you rev the engine.

Will try a new flasher unit to see if that sorts the problem.

Tried a different regulater but no change.

What does the rectifier do?

All help will be appreciated!!!!

Jas UK

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 2 months later...

With my DT175 1982, a local electrical motorbike shop fitted 3 watt globes to the indicators and a new flasher tube.

This meant the flashers worked instantly and the maximum power went to front headlight. It also stopped the 6 volt battery from going flat.

He suggested the ultimate would be to fit LED globes into the flashers and a resistor near the flasher tube.

• 2 weeks later...

With my DT175 1982, a local electrical motorbike shop fitted 3 watt globes to the indicators and a new flasher tube.

This meant the flashers worked instantly and the maximum power went to front headlight. It also stopped the 6 volt battery from going flat.

He suggested the ultimate would be to fit LED globes into the flashers and a resistor near the flasher tube.

Can you explain what 3W globes are? and what a flasher tube is? I'm guessing the translation in the UK is something different?

I like the idea of more power to the headlight so would carry out this mod myself if I can work out what's needed. Any help apreciated.

Can you explain what 3W globes are? and what a flasher tube is? I'm guessing the translation in the UK is something different?

I like the idea of more power to the headlight so would carry out this mod myself if I can work out what's needed. Any help apreciated.

I assume the word globe tranlates to bulb to us

The DT175MX headlight is notoriously poor, verging on dangerous on unlit roads, thats because its old technology and only 6volt. If you want to upgrade why not get one of these they arent a bad price after all. If you do go for one of these make sure you specify the 6 Volt option, come to think of it I'm gonna get one for myself as it says limited stocks and I dont want to 'miss the boat.'

I also presume globe translates to bulb but not sure how changing the indicator bulbs would make a difference to the headlight power? Or how this stopped the battery going flat?

I'm not sure I need a new headlight to improve the lighting on my bike, I've thought about getting a halogen bulb for the bike which I believe can be sourced from this company http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffybulbs.htm (not sure how you put the clever link in). And you should be able to get a bulb to fit the standard DT175MX fitting.

This would be a much cheaper option than having to purchase a complete new headlight. The option you've suggested is still after all only 6V and unless the glass is poor or the reflective part of you existing headlight is corroded I can't see what the improvement would be?

I think the fact the H4 bulb upgrade is mentioned / recommended this is the real improvement !!!

Yes youre right, they are a cheaper option but thats not to say the others arent good value for the whole lot, thes bikes are getting on for 30 years old now and many of the reflectors have seen better days, they bubble and then start flaking. and also those bulbs you mention are dearer £12.20, versus £7.99

If you go for them, I think this will be the one for you

American Pre-Focus Halogen replacement bulbs are now only available in 12V 50/50W & 6V 35/35W. The bulb these replace is shown as illustration 17 in the diagram of standard bulbs. £12.20 ea.

Click here for the diagrams of standard bulbs

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online