1973 RT3 360

gfrench
This post is 5647 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Restoring a 1973 RT3 after being away from these bikes for 25+ years and enjoying every minute of it.

I am now to the point that I really need some help. As far as the wiring harness- Appears to be straight forward in just matching up colors on all of the wire ends. In doing this- I have a Black and a what appears to be wht or cream color wire that is in the harness coming out of the crankcase- I have hooked up the other four that match up with the harness-

Yellow-black-green and a green with a red line on it. Any ideas what these other two to go to?

On the Headlight I have a Black wire- does this connect to the other three black wires coming into the headlight?

Also- on the Oil pump- there is a Platstic wheel- looks like a gear- does this control any adjustment of Oil flow?

Thanks in advance for any help! Also looking for a service manual for this bike that will give me some good illitrations if any could help.

Thanks again as I just joined this forum and looking forward to the good advice.

GF

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Restoring a 1973 RT3 after being away from these bikes for 25+ years and enjoying every minute of it.

I am now to the point that I really need some help. As far as the wiring harness- Appears to be straight forward in just matching up colors on all of the wire ends. In doing this- I have a Black and a what appears to be wht or cream color wire that is in the harness coming out of the crankcase- I have hooked up the other four that match up with the harness-

Yellow-black-green and a green with a red line on it. Any ideas what these other two to go to?

On the Headlight I have a Black wire- does this connect to the other three black wires coming into the headlight?

Also- on the Oil pump- there is a Platstic wheel- looks like a gear- does this control any adjustment of Oil flow?

Thanks in advance for any help! Also looking for a service manual for this bike that will give me some good illitrations if any could help.

Thanks again as I just joined this forum and looking forward to the good advice.

GF

Hi

I guess the following

Yellow = Lighting

Green/red = Batterey Charge

Green(perhaps sky blue)= N light

black/white trace = ignition

noticed the RT has 2 lighting coils so the cream wire may have some USA spec stuff .. running with the lights on all the time ... whats that all about ???

I guess you are talking of the big white gear on the back of the oil pump (looks like a gear with nothing to mesh too) ? If so this was there for two reasons 1) to bleed the pump (you undo the bleed screw and turn the white gear in order to expel air from the pump) 2) To check the oil pumps minimum stroke (I could go thro the procedure but I would think this is fine, but I'll run thro it if you want).

Regards Jim

Jim,

Thank you for the info.

Not sure if the cream wire was ever attached to anything- do not see in the actual wire harness has a connection to this wire.

Once I get the Tins back from paint and get the battery installed all the new bulbs and fuse- I will follow your guide below until everything lights up.

I am also assuming the headlight will only come on when the bike is running? What about the tac and speedometer- these should light up with the key is move to the 2nd position with out bike running?

Lastly- how do i adjust the oil pump? I will put a little pre-mix in the gas tank and fill the oil tank- un-hook the oil line from the cylinder to see if oil is being pumped- How do I adjust the flow rate and how much should come out?

Thanks agin for you help!

Greg

Hi

I guess the following

Yellow = Lighting

Green/red = Batterey Charge

Green(perhaps sky blue)= N light

black/white trace = ignition

noticed the RT has 2 lighting coils so the cream wire may have some USA spec stuff .. running with the lights on all the time ... whats that all about ???

I guess you are talking of the big white gear on the back of the oil pump (looks like a gear with nothing to mesh too) ? If so this was there for two reasons 1) to bleed the pump (you undo the bleed screw and turn the white gear in order to expel air from the pump) 2) To check the oil pumps minimum stroke (I could go thro the procedure but I would think this is fine, but I'll run thro it if you want).

Regards Jim

Jim,

Thank you for the info.

Not sure if the cream wire was ever attached to anything- do not see in the actual wire harness has a connection to this wire.

Once I get the Tins back from paint and get the battery installed all the new bulbs and fuse- I will follow your guide below until everything lights up.

I am also assuming the headlight will only come on when the bike is running? What about the tac and speedometer- these should light up with the key is move to the 2nd position with out bike running?

Lastly- how do i adjust the oil pump? I will put a little pre-mix in the gas tank and fill the oil tank- un-hook the oil line from the cylinder to see if oil is being pumped- How do I adjust the flow rate and how much should come out?

Greg

Hi Greg

Ok (i'm in old oil pump mode)

my experence is with UK modals so US ones may alter slightly.

First off bleed the pump ... undo the bleed screw (with the fibre washer) and turn the white gear by hand until no air comes out of the bleed.

next check the marks on the cable wheel align at the correct time (UK DT had a screw half way up the carb body which was removed and the throttle opend till a mark appeard in the hole and the oil pump datum mark should align with the funny bolt to the side of the cable wheel) US modal may set up with the throttle open or shut (its easy to figure out). Once the cable is adjusted correctly do the following.

Turn the white gear until the biggest clearence is made between the cable wheel and the washer above it, then measure between the high point of the cable wheel and the washer. UK spec was 0.1mm ~ 0.15mm but US could be different (this is the flow rate adjustment) and you need to find minimum pump stroke setting for your locale and adjust if needed. The adjustment is made by undoing the 6mm (10mm headed nut) holding the washer down, under the washer will be some brass shims you may need to add or remove a shim to get the pump stroke correct (but my guess is you will find this correct) and your pump is now ready for service.

If you wish add oil to the fuel on startup run the motor (pump exposed) and watch for the said washer moving up & down, if so the pump is working). I know this may sound confusing but I have a newer (non white gear pump) that I can photo and illustrate the points

Regards Jim

Jim,

Thank you for the info.

Greg

Hi Greg,

The h/l and meter lights only come on with the motor running (ran from the yellow). cream wires didnot appear on UK modals so I guess some US thingy so I cannot help unless I find a diagram for it. UK has a white (could it be that ? gone old !!)

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online