1982 Yamaha DT 175 MX

A Dingle
This post is 5440 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I have recently finished restoring my 1982 DT175MX, it starts first kick and ticks over fine but when the revs get to about 2700 it misfires. I have changed the carb and reed valve for completely different units but still the same. I have noticed the the manual states that the CDI should be a 7 wire which includes a red but the CDI on the bike is a 6 wire with no red (the red wire from the flywheel is not connected to anything at present). The guy I bought the bike from said that it was running fine prior to him putting it into storage so I have assumed that the 6 wire CDI would be ok! Would anybody know if the CDI could be the problem? Thanks Ashley

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, I have recently finished restoring my 1982 DT175MX, it starts first kick and ticks over fine but when the revs get to about 2700 it misfires. I have changed the carb and reed valve for completely different units but still the same. I have noticed the the manual states that the CDI should be a 7 wire which includes a red but the CDI on the bike is a 6 wire with no red (the red wire from the flywheel is not connected to anything at present). The guy I bought the bike from said that it was running fine prior to him putting it into storage so I have assumed that the 6 wire CDI would be ok! Would anybody know if the CDI could be the problem? Thanks Ashley

Some have a 7 wire and some have six, the important point is that the cdi needs to match the stator ( behind the flywheel) as the 7 wire uses 2 source coils for the cdi wheras the 6wire system uses 1.

What it sounds like is you have the low speed coil connected to your cdi which won't generate the right voltage at higher rpm to trigger the cdi accurately giving your bad spark, does it go ok at realy high rpm? As in 7-8000....

Some have a 7 wire and some have six, the important point is that the cdi needs to match the stator ( behind the flywheel) as the 7 wire uses 2 source coils for the cdi wheras the 6wire system uses 1.

What it sounds like is you have the low speed coil connected to your cdi which won't generate the right voltage at higher rpm to trigger the cdi accurately giving your bad spark, does it go ok at realy high rpm? As in 7-8000....

Hi, thanks for the reply, the bike misfires at all rpm above 2700, I have taken another look at the stator and it has 7 wires, it seems to have 2 source coils, a large one with a small one on top of it! The red wire from the stator is connected to the small coil but has been left disconnected in the wireing loom as there is a 6 wire CDI fitted with no red.

Bad news then, you need to find and fit either the correct coil or the correct cdi.

• 5 months later...

Hey do you still have the 6 wire cdi? I have a 7 wire cdi and need a 6. Lets make a trade.