Reg/Rec unit testing

ady
This post is 5783 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi again, I have recently found out that either the reg/rec unit or stator or both have given up the ghost.

I have tested the battery to see if it is charging whilst the trike is running, but the readings don't look good.

trike not running

battery reads ...................12.5v

trike running at 4000rpm

battery reads ...................12.4v (does not move from this figure)

stator reads......................18.0, 12.4, 10.6 (these are readings taken from the stator plug, 3 white wires, testing 2 at a time).

Can anybody tell me if there is a way to test the reg/rec unit, apart from fitting it to another bike? (see picture below)

Also, does anyone have a spare Reg/Rec knocking about that they want to sell??

Does anyone have a spare (GOOD) stator for sale??

This is the wiring configuration of my Reg/Rec, 3 white, 1black (earth) and 1 red

Reg-Rec.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi again, I have recently found out that either the reg/rec unit or stator or both have given up the ghost.

I have tested the battery to see if it is charging whilst the trike is running, but the readings don't look good.

trike not running

battery reads ...................12.5v

trike running at 4000rpm

battery reads ...................12.4v (does not move from this figure)

stator reads......................18.0, 12.4, 10.6 (these are readings taken from the stator plug, 3 white wires, testing 2 at a time).

Can anybody tell me if there is a way to test the reg/rec unit, apart from fitting it to another bike? (see picture below)

Also, does anyone have a spare Reg/Rec knocking about that they want to sell??

Does anyone have a spare (GOOD) stator for sale??

you can test the rectifier portion by connecting an ohm meter between the red & the whites and reverse the leads, you should get continuity in one direction only or if the meter has a diode check use that, you can also do vac test across the 3 whites, what you dont say tho which bike the trike is based on and how modified the loom has been.

Regards Jim

This is the wiring configuration of my Reg/Rec, 3 white, 1black (earth) and 1 red

Which bike is the trike based on ?

How modified is the wirring ?

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online