mic-hell
This post is 5678 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everybody,

I'm new here and happy to join the Yamaha-lovers.

I've just bought an XJ900 '83 (31A) this afternoon. It is in a terrible state now, but I'm hoping to get it restored to its former glory.

For the moment I'm a bit confused, since all the pictures I can find on the net, have a square headlight whereas I have a round one. I have found an owner manual and there I can see the difference between the 900F (with square light and three gauges (speedo, tacho, fuel) and the 900 (round light and two gauges (speedo and tacho). Now, my bike has a round light and speedo, tacho and fuel gauges.

Any information about the bike would be appreciated a lot.

t_YamahaXJ900m_a618878.jpg

PS: sorry for any mistakes in my English, but it's not my first language

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome to the forum. I wonder if a previous owner possibly swapped out the square headlight for a round one ,due to not liking the looks of square headlights. Wouldn't be the first time I'm sure.

Welcome Mic-Hell, I `m sure this`ll not be the only part that has been replaced, So good luck.

Your English is better than most colonials, ( whats "Burglarize" all about),

Hello everybody,

I'm new here and happy to join the Yamaha-lovers.

I've just bought an XJ900 '83 (31A) this afternoon. It is in a terrible state now, but I'm hoping to get it restored to its former glory.

For the moment I'm a bit confused, since all the pictures I can find on the net, have a square headlight whereas I have a round one. I have found an owner manual and there I can see the difference between the 900F (with square light and three gauges (speedo, tacho, fuel) and the 900 (round light and two gauges (speedo and tacho). Now, my bike has a round light and speedo, tacho and fuel gauges.

Any information about the bike would be appreciated a lot.

t_YamahaXJ900m_a618878.jpg

PS: sorry for any mistakes in my English, but it's not my first language

Hi there,

you have the 853cc modal rather than the 900f's 891cc and smaller carbs. In the UK 900 had a little nose fairing & round headlight F had a square light and a 3 quarter fairing (simular size to the 900 Diversion) but as your bike has lost its fairing it would be difficult to know if it had a round headlight or a square one !! But in the UK I seem to remember that both modals had the 3 clocks rev,speed,fuel (with in built clock) but for other parts of the world the setup maybe different

Regards Jim

Thanks for the advice everybody.

I started working on the bike today, and I'm really enjoying my first rebuilding project. But it's not that easy to get all those rusted bolts and screws moving. Thank God for WD40.

Thanks for the advice everybody.

I started working on the bike today, and I'm really enjoying my first rebuilding project. But it's not that easy to get all those rusted bolts and screws moving. Thank God for WD40.

so have found out if you have the 853cc bike or the 891cc bike yet ?

Regards Jim

so have found out if you have the 853cc bike or the 891cc bike yet ?

Regards Jim

Judging from the frame code and the year it was built, it's the 853cc.

I just had a quick look on this site (http://www.dropbears.com/m/models/yamaha/modelcodes.htm) and i thinks it's the XJ 900 RL - 83 - 31A.