Braking upgrades?

wild foamy
This post is 5789 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi everyone.

ive had my 1990 DT50MX on the road for just about 4 weeks now, and was just wondering is there anything i can do to get more performance out of the tired old drum brakes (disk upgrades?)

thanks and regards

Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Drum brakes?

Easiest thing will be to ride into a tree. At least then you know you'll stop!!! :D

Either that, or attach a chain and anchor to the back and drop it when you need to brake......

Discs will be a very good idea.

From there, adding braided brake lines and sintered pads will make you stop like a jet fighter with an arrester hook!!!!

Its not worth the bother trying to find a new set of forks, a brake caliper, a new wheel with a disk and a master cylinder, you'll soo be 17 and then it's goodbye to DT50 and hello something better.

Your DT50 is such a lightweight bike the drum brake should have no trouble coping, pull your front wheel off and buy some brake/clutch cleaner from your local motor shop, give the drum a good spray and wipe out, you may notice a small raised ridge that has built up on the edge of the drum, get some coarse wet/dry and remove this ridge, grease the brake camshaft and remove any excess grease...and finally buy yourself some grooved EBC shoes from Wemoto, youl be amazed how good your little drum can be, my 175 has got drums and ive never had a problem in the 25 years ive had it!!