XXXXXXL Helmet

Ratsalad
This post is 5712 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Returning to M/Cycling after a 28 year lay off, right good chance of killing myself apparently. Had a good go in my younger days mind!

Problem is, me head's grown gianormous! Bought an Xl Takich & soon after bought an XXL, but after a couple of hours it kills the top of my ears.

Apparently these cheaper helmets are all built around the same shell, but the padding thickness varies. :angry:

Shoei etc have different shell sizes but they're expensive. Now in '76, I bought 2 new Shoei's and a brand new Honda CD175. They weren't expensive, so I'm shocked to see that I might have to pay as much for a new Shoei lid as I paid for my new Honda in '76! (£299 from M/Cycle City)

I've returned on a budget, couple of non-runners I've bought back to life.

So, can anybody help me by recommending a big helmet, at a small(ish) price?

Yeah and no jokes about wearing the box instead, I've had it all off the kids!...... :D

PS I could shave me 'ead and have one tattoed on, but I mostly drive a car, & I don't want to drive a Micra looking like the Stig.... B)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

How long have you been wearing the XXL for? When I first got mine it hurt my mouth at the sides, but the padding compresses loads. you want to be careful getting a huge one, you might find it gets too loose and then you've wasted your money, perhaps try stretching the padding by wearing it around the house when you arent doing much? :P

How long have you been wearing the XXL for? When I first got mine it hurt my mouth at the sides, but the padding compresses loads. you want to be careful getting a huge one, you might find it gets too loose and then you've wasted your money, perhaps try stretching the padding by wearing it around the house when you arent doing much? :P

You do have a very good point. These things, as I recall, do loosen up. I have been living in hope that the padding would give a bit. Tonight I wore it to the Ipswich Canoe Club where I was enlisted on a rolling course. Did my first Kayak roll! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wore it this afternoon hoovering & doing the housework. Unfortunately, The downward vision is almost as bad as the Griffin Clubman HP (Remember That!!!!!) I ran over the lead, exposing the wires.

Stowing the vac I must've touched a live. Blacked out, but Hey! good job I had the helmet on!!!!!!!!

Must've been out for a while though, 'Cos tips of the ears have gone gangreneous............

Try a Caberg.

Top notch lids, especially the full face V2 model, at around £100.

Plus, they all come with a drop-down internal sun visor!!

Yeah, I've got one of the Caberg ones with the flippy face thing in Matte Black and it looks so awesome with the sunvisor down :P But if it's too cold and i have visor and sunvisor then my glasses can get steamed up sometimes ^^

Are you looking to purchase on-line or from a shop?

The problem with lids is that they aren't the same, and one might fit great, another might give you grief.

Personally, I've always stuck to Arai's as they make different sized shells, they are comfy, well made but expensive and to be honest I think they are living off there reputation a bit now.

I've just recently purchased a Shoei flip front and I'm not sure I like it - could be lots of reasons why.

The most sensible thing to do is find a shop with loads of lids (Hien Gerricke normally ahve a good selection), or better still a few different shops and try some different brands on - you'll know when you find one that right, and if the guys in the shop know what they are selling they'll be able to give you some sound advice on what's safe to wear.

Beginner - Use an anti-fog solution on the inside of your visor, both sides of teh sun visor and both sides of your glasses.

I do the same thing!!

i enver ride with my visor fully down unless i am flat out (40mph). anywere below 30 and the visor on my lid (BMW System 3) steams up quickly, at roundabouts or junctions where i need extra concentration or even just for getting around town i have my visor fully up for better vision, if it is raining or i dont need the visor fully up i will ride with the visor up on the first notch (just a crack at the bottom fo the helmet) to let some airflow in and stop my glasses/visor steaming up :)

havent tried the anti-fog stuff, but apparently rubbing a potatoe (cut in half) on the inside of the visor also works because it leaves a layer of oil (well, starch which technically is a sugar) on the surface.

IThe Caberg V2 is indeed a great helmet, but i found it a bit too noisy - however for the price i cant knock it.

I now have a Limited Edition Shoei VRX1000 - its the dogs bollox and cost me a fuckin fortune, but its comfy, very light and proper quiet.

You have to remember though that just cos it was extortionately expensive doesnt mean its one of the best on the market (and yeeeaaaas i have done a research study on this so i do know what im on about), BUT, its comfortable, light and i fookin love it!

Go with whatever feels right for YOU - you dont have to spend a fortune. ;)

You could always check out the SHARP results too - see what each lid has scored in testing

HERE

Returning to M/Cycling after a 28 year lay off, right good chance of killing myself apparently. Had a good go in my younger days mind!

Problem is, me head's grown gianormous! Bought an Xl Takich & soon after bought an XXL, but after a couple of hours it kills the top of my ears.

Apparently these cheaper helmets are all built around the same shell, but the padding thickness varies. :angry:

Shoei etc have different shell sizes but they're expensive. Now in '76, I bought 2 new Shoei's and a brand new Honda CD175. They weren't expensive, so I'm shocked to see that I might have to pay as much for a new Shoei lid as I paid for my new Honda in '76! (£299 from M/Cycle City)

I've returned on a budget, couple of non-runners I've bought back to life.

So, can anybody help me by recommending a big helmet, at a small(ish) price?

Yeah and no jokes about wearing the box instead, I've had it all off the kids!...... :D

PS I could shave me 'ead and have one tattoed on, but I mostly drive a car, & I don't want to drive a Micra looking like the Stig.... B)

Thanks for the suggestions to ev'peeps above.

Goth, thanks for the link, appalled to see the takachi only has 2 stars!.....

I deffo won't buy online unless I've tried the particular model for size in a shop, already bought two & still got it wrong having tried them on.

I had Shoei helmets in my previous life, & if I'm honest, it was partly down to helmets that I stopped biking. I went out & bought the best helmet money could buy at that time, approx '78 to '79 which was the Griffin Clubman with the HP visor. (guaranteed to withstand a shotgun from 25 yards- a bugger to run out of post offices in though!)

Within weeks I was splattered on the Roundacre roundabout in Bas. By a Mr Green in an old Corsair who tried to turn right from the left turn only lane. My fault, of course.

Thing is, I never even see what hit me.

I do wonder, the HP being cut higher at the bottom & sides of the opening, whether I just MIGHT have seen him if I'd been wearing the Shoei.

Steaming is another minefield! I recall taking the visors off the Shoeis when they got a bit scratched, & wearing gogs. The Takachi is so stuffed full of head it steams up badly. I got caught out in a frost one night a week or so ago and had to ride home From Gt Yar (45mile) with the visor up. The eyes are not so good now. Luckily when it's cold theres hardly any insects flying, but I'm always mindfull of the time I got hit in the eye by a beetle on the A30 at 85mph. In the dark, wiping my eye & looking at the gore by the headlight trying to determine if I still had an eyeball or not 'cos I couldn't see in the mirrors as it was dark. Luckily the eye was ok, but I had a shiner in the morning.

I did our car windscreens with Nano Techno Crappo earlier in the year, & the screens are so bad now as to be dangereaux. So not sure what to try on the visor. Used to use baby shampoo on the inside of the diving masks, but didn't have oncoming traffic to deal with! (just the occasional ROV)

Thanks again, will keep you posted when I've tried some more lids.

I'll check out the Caberg for sure