You want another carb thread?

G-man
This post is 5651 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I got your carb thread right here, buuuuuuddy! :lol:

So, this of course goes out to the usual suspects. I've replaced my ratty stock filters with uni socks that I run behind the side panels, but without the air boxes. I raised the needles one notch to match the increase in air intake. I synched the carbs, adjusted the pilot screws. The bike runs great now, very responsive, smooth at all throttle positions, all that stuff. The one thing though, she's become a tyranical bitch to start. I now have to kick the living crap outta the kick start till she'll finally turn over. It sometimes takes me a good 10 minutes of kicking her until she's finally start up. Once she's started though, everything's great. And, she starts up again no problem so long as the engine is still relatively warm. This is a new occurance since I did all that stuff above...before she ran kinda crappy, but at least she would always start on the first few kicks. Any ideas?

The plugs paint the same picture they always have, the right one is clean, left one is kinda carboned up. I found some gas tank crap clogging the right fuel intake that I thought would resolve that. But, there's also the left needle that's badly worn, so I figure she's a bit rich on the left side from that and outta be sorted out when I'll replace the jet needle. Also, I had to turn the pilot screws out quite a bit to get the best idle, so am thinking to move the clip on the jet needles back to the center slot. Could it be that she's now too lean for a cold start, but perfect at running temp?

One other thing I should probably mention, the choke is totally worthless on the bike. Always was since I got her. Matter of fact, the choke will kill her when she's warming up. The procedure handed down to me from the previous owner is to turn up the idle with the idle screw when she's first started, and turn it down as she warms up.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

...knock it of asap

Can you translate that?

I dunno what's wrong with the choke...I cleaned those carbs out well, choke included, and don't sense any leaks. So I dunno what da fuck's up wit it. Actually, lemme correct that, probably if she's too lean for a cold start, a working choke would probably help out, true true.

But you know, the bike used to start no problem, with the same choke issue. So, I dunno. :huh:

I'd hate to sacrifice the now crisp throttle response for a quick start, but damn...my right leg is eventually gonna throw my balance off with all the exercise it's getting.

Naw man, she won't start at all with the choke is what I'm saying.

Are you sure youre 'doing it right', not trying to be funny but sometimes they will only start if you put choke on and dont twist the throttle while you attempt to start, could be just a knack thing!...Possibly

Can you translate that?

I dunno what's wrong with the choke...I cleaned those carbs out well, choke included, and don't sense any leaks. So I dunno what da fuck's up wit it. Actually, lemme correct that, probably if she's too lean for a cold start, a working choke would probably help out, true true.

But you know, the bike used to start no problem, with the same choke issue. So, I dunno. :huh:

I'd hate to sacrifice the now crisp throttle response for a quick start, but damn...my right leg is eventually gonna throw my balance off with all the exercise it's getting.

does this motor has the 2 position (pull out - push in choke)? If so I would suspect the choke tube/drilling in the float chamber a liberal application of carb cleaner may fix it but you may find you have to spray some WD40 in order to help (WD40 sorts so much out it's untrue ... chains (swear by it on chains),carbs,switches etc magic fixer for all?). I guess TTCB has been done .. if not TTCB should be done ... but I guess I wrote this in a previous post

Regards Jim

does this motor has the 2 position (pull out - push in choke)? If so I would suspect the choke tube/drilling in the float chamber a liberal application of carb cleaner may fix it but you may find you have to spray some WD40 in order to help (WD40 sorts so much out it's untrue ... carbs,switches etc magic fixer for all?). I guess TTCB has been done .. if not TTCB should be done ... but I guess I wrote this in a previous post

Regards Jim

DONT!!! mention WD40 :lol:

Chains....What chains? :eusa_shhh:

Howdy, boys.

Oldgit, I tried all sorts of combos, not twisting the throttle, twisting it 1/4th, with choke, sans choke, all that stuff. Wacky bike, but man, when it finally starts, it runs fantabulous!

Jim, what's TTCB? It is a 2 position choke, either on or off. I took the choke intakes apart and cleaned them thoroughly, so I dunno. I gotta take the carbs apart to do something with them jet needles, so I guess another cleaning won't hurt.

Did you...uhh...hmmm..mention...WD-40?!!! :D

Sorry, long standing inside joke. I actually have a WD-40 on chains thread floating around here somewheres, but Oldgit says he prefers to use it as his secret ingredient in salad dressing.

Howdy, boys.

Oldgit, I tried all sorts of combos, not twisting the throttle, twisting it 1/4th, with choke, sans choke, all that stuff. Wacky bike, but man, when it finally starts, it runs fantabulous!

Jim, what's TTCB? It is a 2 position choke, either on or off. I took the choke intakes apart and cleaned them thoroughly, so I dunno. I gotta take the carbs apart to do something with them jet needles, so I guess another cleaning won't hurt.

Did you...uhh...hmmm..mention...WD-40?!!! :D

Sorry, long standing inside joke. I actually have a WD-40 on chains thread floating around here somewheres, but Oldgit says he prefers to use it as his secret ingredient in salad dressing.

I did read the thread .... TTCB = Timing (including Dwell important on XS twins), Tappits & carb balance. The XS400 (UK. those odd blue ones that where ment for spain came in with km clocks & head lights that dipped the wrong way) had a choke that pulled out and had on, half on & off just asked that as I did get problems with that carb. If yours are the same check the following :- remove the float chambers in them you will find a brass tube with a little hole next to it this links to the hole in the side of the float chamber, these can block well easy & will cause bad cold starts. If you cannot work out which bits I'm talking about photo the float chamber and the underside of the carb and I will point them out from the photos

regards Jim

WD40/GT85 as a salad dressing ... not sure I would be to fond of that ..... :unsure: but each to their own !

Hey man. Naw, my choke is an on/off lever, no half-on option. I earlier stripped the carbs and sprayed thru every hole, channel, nook and cranny, so I don't think nothing's clogged. The fuel intake in the right carb under the needle valve actually was fairly blocked by fuel tank crap before I got to it.

I balanced the carbs, but no, didn't tackle the timing, yet. Hmmm, maybe it's time, huh?

Oldgit, you boys drink your brewskies warm. Wot up wit dat?

Ok then, so I solved my poor starting dilemma, and I'm back to getting her going with one swift kick in the guts. It was a simple fix, if I could call it that. Very simple. Very, very simple. Did I mention that it was simple? A true Homer Simpson DOH! moment, I'm embarrassed to say, haha.

Anybody wanna take a gander at what was wrong? Here's a hint: ever-encroaching colder crappy weather means that I ride that sucker less often then, say, a few weeks ago...by coincidence about the time when I screwed around with them carbs.

What's this, not one brave soul up to the challenge? I'm disappointed.

Damn, you wankers leave me hangin' like that?

rodney_dangerfield.jpg

"I get no respect."

Ok then, so it turns out to have been the battery! :lol:

Damn, you wankers leave me hangin' like that?

rodney_dangerfield.jpg

"I get no respect."

Ok then, so it turns out to have been the battery! :lol:

well if it had bin lubed with WD it would have been fine ..... wouldn't it :wacko:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online