Horns.

The Beginner
This post is 5628 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've noticed that almost all motorbikes have horns that make a sound like my moped's and i wonder why they can't have more manly horns, does anyone know waht the laws are on getting better sounding horns or musical horns on a bike?

Anyone know any funny stories about horns on motorbikes?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Better horns - Yes. By all means.

Friend of mine kitted his VFR out with an electric-compressed air-horn. Scares the living feck out of anyone who warrants a blast!!!!

Musical horns - Only if you want us to mercilessly rip the piss out of you!!!

These things only belong on clown vehicles and cars with a Confederate Battle Flag painted on the roof (google up Dukes Of Hazzard).

OOO I like the look of that, :icon_twisted: should fit on an R6 shouldn't it ?

Horn on my R6 is pathetic with a capital PA! :lol:

I dont know if it will fit an R6, i just about got it in on my bandit, although i must add that i went to my local motor factors shop and asked them if i could take it out of the box to my bike to weigh up the possibilities before i bought it, they should let you do that if you leave your crash helmet behind the counter. BTW Stebel do a smaller one too...'Magnum', also loud but i dont think its a two tone like the 'Nautilus', these seem popular with bikes.

Have a look on their web site for more info.

I dont know if it will fit an R6, i just about got it in on my bandit, although i must add that i went to my local motor factors shop and asked them if i could take it out of the box to my bike to weigh up the possibilities before i bought it, they should let you do that if you leave your crash helmet behind the counter. BTW Stebel do a smaller one too...'Magnum', also loud but i dont think its a two tone like the 'Nautilus', these seem popular with bikes.

Have a look on their web site for more info.

Hi mate,

could I fit the Nautilus to my Fazer using the original fitting and wires, cant seem to get any ones attention with the basic horn whats fitted now.

Cheers Phil.

Dunno about horns, but if i had an alarm, this is the 'siren' i would have:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DBGC9xoi8AU

love it when Ray-von fits this and then you can hear it going off when 'right said frank' are nicking the car radios:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LosXhAYM52o&...feature=related

Hi mate,

could I fit the Nautilus to my Fazer using the original fitting and wires, cant seem to get any ones attention with the basic horn whats fitted now.

Cheers Phil.

Phil, dunno what you mean when you say"using the original fitting", I didnt use the original fitting...had to find somewhere apprropriate where it would go and not foul the forks movement, like i said the other one is smaller so may even fit where your original is, i suggest you go and have a look at them to decide. As for wiring, mine came with a relay so i used it because it doesnt give the horn switch a hard time.

Phil, dunno what you mean when you say"using the original fitting", I didnt use the original fitting...had to find somewhere apprropriate where it would go and not foul the forks movement, like i said the other one is smaller so may even fit where your original is, i suggest you go and have a look at them to decide. As for wiring, mine came with a relay so i used it because it doesnt give the horn switch a hard time.

Sorry mate, I mean the bracket where the original horn fits, but like you say best to have a look at the bike first and try to find a appropriate place for it. thank for the reply.

Phil.

I've noticed that almost all motorbikes have horns that make a sound like my moped's and i wonder why they can't have more manly horns, does anyone know waht the laws are on getting better sounding horns or musical horns on a bike?

Circa 1978 I put rear mounted air horns on my RD400.

Being 20 and knowing ev'fink I threw the relay away.

I was coming home from work one afternoon, my route took me through Barleylands road in Billericay. A lane through flat agricultural fields. I was going 'briskly' and half mile ahead was a VW beetle, pootling along.

By this time I was also driving cars, and knowing that, even if mirroring every 7 seconds as my ex-police driving instructor taught me, being overtaken when not expecting it could make one jump. I therefore, courteously, as I saw it, flashed my headlight to let the driver know I was closing.

At that point the driver deliberately took up the whole road, and as I closed I could see the driver was a wild haired, grey haired school teachery type lady. I could see the whites of her eyes in the driver's mirror, as she bloody mindedly took up the whole road.

An oncoming VW camper (Ironically) forced her in, and in that instant I dodged past, -just!

Swerving out and flashing furiously, she caused me to brake as suicidally as only a 20 year old can, while firing the rear facing air horns.

Beetle braked, swerved, went up on two wheels, and went off into the field having JUST cleared the bridge before the farm.

The car came to a halt without mis-hap, but throughout this chaos said horn button had melted and horns were jammed on!

Now jammed on air horns are not exactly conducive to making an inconspicuous getaway.

It was fully 3 miles before I managed to work out the button. :wub:

Tip: Use the relay.

I love the sound of the rear mounted air horns :P

It's funny on my bike though, cos it looks so cruiserish for a 50, and then I have cause to blast the horn and it comes out like a squeaky fart :( I do love my bike though, the main things i' fault it on is it's top speed (50MPH on a flat, 65MPH downhill with prevailing winds) and it's little gay horn :P and also, I was thinking of having the dixie horn because that'd be the complete opposite of the little squeaky fart, Ridiculous but in a different way :D

It's jsut another thing i'll have to look into I guess :D

I'm getting really excited about my 17th :D

I was coming home from work one afternoon, my route took me through Barleylands road in Billericay. A lane through flat agricultural fields. I was going 'briskly' and half mile ahead was a VW beetle, pootling along.

Small world Ratsalad ... know that road well, my mum used to live near the Kings Head pub :)

• 2 weeks later...

Have a look at the Motrax Hootaz too...they're no Nautilus, but at £9.99 for 135dB, you can't really argue: http://www.motrax.co.uk/index.php?page_nam...;product_id=758 or be heard trying to.....lol

the horn on my xjr1300 08 is nice n loud it came standerd