My Shopping List

The Beginner
This post is 5712 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everyone, if you've seen any of my posts you might know that I'm pretty young and have never had chance to customise a bike before. I'm looking at getting a dragstar 650 when I turn 17 next January and I wanted to ask a few questions about the bits that I want to add/customise. I've read through all the posts on customs up to page 6 so I'm really sorry if I missed an answer and in some cases I am just looking for confirmation.

Here goes :S

1. Seats - I get the impression that the stock seat isn't so great and have noticed this "mustang" seat coming recommended from some people, are they hard/expensive to acquire?

2. Pipes - I've heard stock pipes on the bike and I'm not particularly impressed :P A friend of mine (my "biker-dad" as my dad calls him :P) Has a Harley but used to ride a Dragstar 650. He's getting it chopperized soon and has said I can have the old Harley pipes for the noise :D My only worry is about pipe-noise legality, how serious an issue is it? cos I always read about how you got pulled over by the fuzz, but never any punishments :D

3. Footboards - Are these useful for more comfortable riding? I seem to get that impression but wanted confirmation :P

4. Custom Paint - I was hoping to get my bike painted White with Red Scalloping like on an old hot rod, had considered chrome and red but decided that'd be too much effort for a lazy boy like me to keep clean :D

5. Tyres - Does anyone know where I could get whitewalls for my bike / how much they might cost?

6. Wheels - The spokes on the stock wheels seem to be a problem and after reading about 5 questions with not necessarily definitive answers I was wondering if someone could brief me on the availability of more solid/"cast" wheels

7. Panniers - I'd like to replace my jeep rucksack which might somewhat spoil the image (Cruisers are a bit posy after all :D) and get my hands on some panniers but I've never actually seen some in real life. Are they lockable and therefore safe to leave on your bike? or is it more sensible to get some "throw-over" panniers which I can take off and carry when I arrive somewhere.

8. Classic "fenders" - If I were to get the regular drag star rather than the classic, would there be any chance of me still using the rear wheel part from the classic bought separately? because I very much like this style but have noticed that classics seem to be nearly a grand more in a lot of cases which is valuable customising money!!

I THINK that's it :D Thanks so much in advance to any answers you might be able to give me I muchly appreciate it

EDIT: I've decided I use FAR too many smiley faces whilst typing :(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey everyone, if you've seen any of my posts you might know that I'm pretty young and have never had chance to customise a bike before. I'm looking at getting a dragstar 650 when I turn 17 next January and I wanted to ask a few questions about the bits that I want to add/customise. I've read through all the posts on customs up to page 6 so I'm really sorry if I missed an answer and in some cases I am just looking for confirmation.

Here goes

Awww bless ya - lets see what i can come up with - i know there be a lot more and other folk will add their bit too, but heres my input

1. Seats - I get the impression that the stock seat isn't so great and have noticed this "mustang" seat coming recommended from some people, are they hard/expensive to acquire?

Depends what kind of look you're going for. There are a couple of good custom seats out there - me, i prefer the look of the Granucci seats - those babies rock!

2. Pipes - I've heard stock pipes on the bike and I'm not particularly impressed :P A friend of mine (my "biker-dad" as my dad calls him :P) Has a Harley but used to ride a Dragstar 650. He's getting it chopperized soon and has said I can have the old Harley pipes for the noise :D My only worry is about pipe-noise legality, how serious an issue is it? cos I always read about how you got pulled over by the fuzz, but never any punishments

If the pipes dont have "not for road use" on them - then you'll be fine. I have uber-loud ones on my bike and have never had a tug yet.

3. Footboards - Are these useful for more comfortable riding? I seem to get that impression but wanted confirmation

I wouldnt be without mine. I find the bike more comfy to ride when i can just ride "lazy" and rest me feet lol

4. Custom Paint - I was hoping to get my bike painted White with Red Scalloping like on an old hot rod, had considered chrome and red but decided that'd be too much effort for a lazy boy like me to keep clean

Sounds very nice indeedy that does

5. Tyres - Does anyone know where I could get whitewalls for my bike / how much they might cost?

They arent cheap - but it depends if you wanna spend hours with the Jif cream scubbing the buggers. They look nice - but can you be arsed with cleaning them?

6. Wheels - The spokes on the stock wheels seem to be a problem and after reading about 5 questions with not necessarily definitive answers I was wondering if someone could brief me on the availability of more solid/"cast" wheels

Never had a problem with mine. But remember - if you go for a solid wheel - if you prang it even slightly - you will have to replace the whole wheel. With the spokes you can just replace those one at a time. I do howver beleive you can buy covers for spoked wheels which you put over them and they make the spoked wheel look like a solid one - i have yet to find out where you get them from though cos this is summat i wanted for mine.

7. Panniers - I'd like to replace my jeep rucksack which might somewhat spoil the image (Cruisers are a bit posy after all :D) and get my hands on some panniers but I've never actually seen some in real life. Are they lockable and therefore safe to leave on your bike? or is it more sensible to get some "throw-over" panniers which I can take off and carry when I arrive somewhere.

I have throw overs for mine. I cannot stand tassles and would never have anything leather hanging off my bike. I know, i know, some folk love it, but its just nor for me. If i go away on the bike i take my textile throw overs and thats enough for me.

8. Classic "fenders" - If I were to get the regular drag star rather than the classic, would there be any chance of me still using the rear wheel part from the classic bought separately? because I very much like this style but have noticed that classics seem to be nearly a grand more in a lot of cases which is valuable customising money!!

Spend the extra on a Classic - but then i am biased. To me the Classic looks more "cruiserish" lol, the custom has the smaller front wheel and to me it looks pants. Many parts for the Classic will not fit the Custom and vice versa - so if you want the classic look (and who wouldnt!) then get yourself a classic.

I THINK that's it :D Thanks so much in advance to any answers you might be able to give me I muchly appreciate it

EDIT: I've decided I use FAR too many smiley faces whilst typing :(

You mean all those i have had to remove from quoting you in order to post my response lol

hehehe Sorry about the smileys. I'm trying not to use them so much (Just avoided typing 3 on that line alone :()

Thanks for the advice, You've convinced me against solid wheels at least, but I'll probably mett in the middle and get leather throwovers. Going to have to look into the Classic model now, after looking on bike trader there are some that are cheaper than the custom and you're right, that's why i was hoping to get the back bit cos it looks much more cruiserish and i think will ultimately suit my posing style.

As for cleaning whitewalls, I often find it's worth the effort, my dad's got a very clean '57 Chevy BelAir and I'm more than used to cleaning the whitewalls on that :D as before, I think it's worth it for the looks, and babywipes tend tog et most of the road muck off anyway. When you say "aren't cheap" how much are you talking about (ish?)

Thanks very much for the reply and I'll have to stress how much I really do love Elvira

Avon do white walled tyres. I think they start at about £160. Im not 100% sure on that price though.

Im sure there will be something about them on their site.

And thanks for the comments about my Elvira - she's a babe lol

Thanks for the Hint at Avon, could you tell me what the measurements are for the Classic's wheels so I can check it out please?

And you're so right!! she is a babe :D

Looks like nobody else is interested in my shopping list :P

Thanks for the Hint at Avon, could you tell me what the measurements are for the Classic's wheels so I can check it out please?

Front is 130/90-16

Rear is170/80-15

Looks like nobody else is interested in my shopping list :P

nahhhh - thats not it - its prolly cos no one else who has one has been online yet. ;)

Front is 130/90-16

Rear is170/80-15

nahhhh - thats not it - its prolly cos no one else who has one has been online yet. ;)

Thanks for the info, I found the Avon brand rear whitewall but couldn't find an avon brand one for the front :/ will have to look into it another time when I'm not with my girlfriend (watching X-Factor :( )

I can find a Pair of avon Venom wide whitewalls fitting that spec for £95 and £50 but how should I go about fitting them to the wheel? or should I got to t tyre-person and get them to order and fit for me?

I can find a Pair of avon Venom wide whitewalls fitting that spec for £95 and £50 but how should I go about fitting them to the wheel? or should I got to t tyre-person and get them to order and fit for me?

Get them fitted by someone who knows what they are doing. I never mess with me tyres, i let someone else do it properly for me.

I think that's the best idea :D I have absolutely no experience with bikes at all except for watching a guy putting the chain back on my classic whilst I held it up lol :(

If I buy the tires from ebay would I tehn be able to take them to a tire place tog et them fitted? or would it be better to get the tire people to order them for me aswell?

You can get a tyre place to fit them for you. I would call a couple of places though and ask them for a price for the tyres plus fitting, and a price just for the fitting - might be roughly the same or even cheaper, so you could save yourself the hassle of an ebay sale.

Good idea,

One more questions :P what's the realisticness of hving two sest of wheels? whitewalls for summer and plain rubber for witner? I don't know how easy it is to change them :S

Good idea,

One more questions :P what's the realisticness of hving two sest of wheels? whitewalls for summer and plain rubber for witner? I don't know how easy it is to change them :S

Realisticness? lol

If you can be arsed, why not, but me - i prefer the easy life and have just one set.

Good idea,

Wheels are easy enough to change if you have a bike stand, but personally I wouldn't bother with the extra hasstle and expense, not like you are going to be doing thousands of miles. White walls can be smartened up easy enough (we have yank cars too ) and if you're riding through winter salt you are going to washing the bike regularly anyhow. ;)

Just 1 thing about the exhaust, check how you are going to comply with restriction requirements.

If you are unfortunate enough to get pulled or have a spill and you dont have certified restriction then you are not going to be insured. Pain 1 is you wont get paid out in the case of any damage, even bigger pain is you could get your license revoked (riding without insurance 6 points straight away and bike impounded) :(

Don't want to be a dark cloud, but my other half's son just had to re-apply for his car license for a similar stupid mistake, he said 'it'll be OK' .... until he got spot checked.

Just 1 thing about the exhaust, check how you are going to comply with restriction requirements.

If you are unfortunate enough to get pulled or have a spill and you dont have certified restriction then you are not going to be insured. Pain 1 is you wont get paid out in the case of any damage, even bigger pain is you could get your license revoked (riding without insurance 6 points straight away and bike impounded) :(

Don't want to be a dark cloud, but my other half's son just had to re-apply for his car license for a similar stupid mistake, he said 'it'll be OK' .... until he got spot checked.

What restriction requirement is that then?

Oh and I agree with Goff on the bags and footplates :D

I have a Harley 1200 XLC with forward pegs and after an hour or so I'm looking to hang my feet somewhere. My Sportster is naked with black pipes so I wont put plates on just as a cosmetic choice, but they are comfy.

With bag, if you can take the bike with you so you know they will fit nicely, and try and get the best quality you can afford, cheap stiff leather cracks and the stitching may come undone. Might be worth a look at the NEC if you are going (take measurements with you ;) )

He's 17, and I assume his bike will be above the 33bhp limit

lol, i thought there was some obscue restriction law i hadnt heard of when i saw you posted that :lol:

The 650 only just touches 40bhp so i cant see the 125 being above restriction. I think its probably only about 13?

OK, OK, Relax.... Mr. Opinion is here!!!!!

Try the standard seat out first.

I have kept mine standard because it works fine for me and I don't need to spend on a new one.

You may like it, you may hate it - but give it a few thousand miles, including a few long rides. Then decide. No point in unneccesary expenses.

2. Pipes - I've heard stock pipes on the bike and I'm not particularly impressed

If getting pulled is a worry for you, keep the standard ones.

How important is making a loud noise, anyway?

Yes, it sounds brilliant when you pull up next to someone at a biker meet. But when you come home at 3am and you piss off a street full of sleeping neighbours...... My street loves me. I've asked several of them and apparently they never hear me come home late!!!

TBH, as Goff says about the Not For Road Use bit, really.

Most people expect Cruisers to be loud and growly anyway, so it doesn't raise that many eyebrows. Ultimately, though, it depends on your local coppers, what sort of mood they're in that day and/or how bored they are!!

3. Footboards - Are these useful for more comfortable riding? I seem to get that impression but wanted confirmation

Again, try the standard ones first.

I've had both on mine and I eventually ditched the boards in favour of the stock pegs. Other friends of mine prefer boards.

I was wondering if someone could brief me on the availability of more solid/"cast" wheels

As Goff mentions, you can get aftermarket thingies that make a solid wheel.

However, you will really notice high winds with these.

Nope, leather saddlebags are not lockable. They just buckle shut.

However, if you empty them overnight, no worries eh?

You can get some which zip off. These are pretty cool.

However, 'throw-over' is a bit of a misnomer.

Typically, you remove the back seat and lay the yoke directly over the mudguard (fender if you're in the US). This is what keeps them attached to the bike, along with leather thong ties that secure them to the luggage support rails.

You can get rigid plastic panniers, which are lockable.

They cost more because the body panels are metal. That's 20kg of extra weight.

Personally, I hate the Classic styling. The long sweeping bodywork reminds me of a 60's Housewife haircut!!

Plus, in my imagination, it's one step toward a white Harley Road King with all the accessories... tassled & studded white leather, the whole sha-bang. It just reminds me of Elvis in The White Suit!!!

Myself, I'm not a very ostentatious person, despite owning a Cruiser.

I like the Custom because it looks very Retro, compared to the Classic.

The Classic does have a bigger front wheel and large fork shrouds, but it all depends on teh look you want to create.

However, if you do get the Custom and want large saddlebags/panniers, you will have to re-locate the indicators. Not a difficult job, though and you will then have more luggage space than the Classic!!

Spend the extra on a Classic - but then i am biased. To me the Classic looks more "cruiserish" lol, the custom has the smaller front wheel and to me it looks pants. Many parts for the Classic will not fit the Custom and vice versa - so if you want the classic look (and who wouldnt!) then get yourself a classic.

Nah - Get a Custom.

Classics are for people with big beards, big bellies and bandannas.

Customs are for Rock Stars!!!!!

:P:lol:

how should I go about fitting them to the wheel? or should I got to t tyre-person and get them to order and fit for me?

Get the place to order them for you. It's a pain trying to ride anywhere with a pair of tyres on a bike!!

Plus, they'll have loads of kit to properly fit, inflate and balance the wheel. Well worth it, IMO!!

Some places will even come to a local address to fit it (all the guys at work get theirs done during the lunch hour!!).

i cant see the 125 being above restriction. I think its probably only about 13?

Mine was about 12, if I recall.....

Lets see if i can get all of these replies in one:

First, thanks for teh response :D

I am planning on getting the bike legalyl restricted by a dealer, dad's a lawyer so he doesn't let me break the law, he was really pissed when he found out my 50cc was meant to be restricted, but I was sold it as "learner legal" and that's all i told the insurers so i'm covered in the event of an eemergency :P I think...

My worry was not about the illegal power, but i just got the impression that it was illegal to have pipes above a certain decibel level and i was jsut a little concerned about getting pulled by the fuzz for making too much noise,

I've been having a look and I'm afraid I'm gonna go with the classic (sorry Ttask)

Bit of a letdown about throwovers, it hougth you literally like tied them on and then just pissed off riding, didn't realise you couldn't take them off, my only worry is if i ride to somewhere like Nottingham (the place people in london think of as the crime capital of england, which scared me.) I'm a little worried that i can't take anything out that I rode up with so I dno what to do toa void having them robbed, but i think teh leaving empty answer is best :D

Solid wheel I have now decided against. Two sets of wheels I cba with, I'll jsut clean the whitewalls. White with red scalloping I'm still gonna go with paintwise.

One I missed: Hoping to take my girlfriend on my bike and she hasn't been on one since she was pretty little, and that was a racerep. What's the passenger seat on the dragstar like? never had chance to sit on the back.

once again thanks loads for the replies :D

Ed