Rubber air filter boot

wild foamy
This post is 5795 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi everyone.

ive got a little high-performance air filter for my Yamaha DT50MX to help it breathe a bit better, to mount it i would need to remove the airbox to allow enough clearence to mount it onto the carb throat. but the original airbox also holds the battery and a few other bits and pieces and also forms part of the rear mudguard. so i can't remove it without extensive modification.

i was thinking of putting a 90* rubber boot on the carb so that i could mount the filter sticking up between the carb and airbox, does anyone know where i can find such a device and would it cause major problems if i fitted it instead of just putting the filter straight onto the carb?

(the carb throat is 30mm Outside Diameter and the filter is 30mm Inside diameter)

alternatively, does anyone else know a good way of mounting the filter?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i cant unbolt the airbox and remove it because the battery slots into the opposite side of the airbox, so if i remove the airbox i have nowere to put the battery.

the cone filter will fit straight onto the carb easily, its just a matter of getting the clearence between the carb opening and the airbox. i may end up cutting out the front of the airbox to fit the filter and leaving the rest in to hold the battery

Thought you were doing this, I think this 90 elbow connector will look pants and its dubious you will see much performance increase, i admit though its good to tinker so why not cut the airbox if you can make a good neat job of it

just thinking if i need to put the airbox back on it would be a bit tricky to reconstruct the front of it

You've got to the point of no return... you will need to cut the airbox away to get the the K&N (or whatever) in, and if it goes 'tits up' good old ebay may find you the part to return to Yamaha standard. I think I would get another air box before you cut the other about (so you can you go back). DT50 could be 'pimped up' via different means, fresco etc and as a last meausre fit a hi flo filter

Regards Jim

oh... er...

well, after sitting in the workshop for a few minutes with a craft knife i finally thought "to hell with it" and cut the throat bit off the front of the air box, the K&N filter popped on a treat.

i took it for a spin up the road and performance was sh*te to say the least, then i remembered i left the choke on, after that it was great. the bike now has a deeper, growling exhaust note and the power is instant when you come on the throttle. all in all i'm quite happy with it. will do a plug chop to check the mixture is still okay but i think it is fine (bike was up-jetted a few sizes when the exhaust was put on and ever since it has been a bit rich and absolutely stinks the carpark out when idling) i think its been a success :)

will possibly get a pic or two tomorrow

Nice one WF, now dont forget your idle mixture screw, im guessing if the new filter is less restrictive you might have to adjust it. First adjust your tickover for a fast steady rate, then adjust idle mixture untik you find the fastest spot, then re-adjust the throttle stop screw for a normal rate. i think it wont be more than 1/4 of a turn from where it is now

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online