HID Headlamp conversion

malcott
This post is 5790 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I bought a 900 Diversion earlier this year. I am very pleased with it apart from the headlight, which is poor. Has anyone any experience or knowledge of HID conversions? Do they actually work? Are they legal / safe? Do they cause any problems - e.g. over heating of wiring / connectors? If HID is not suitable, does anyone have any other tips on how the headlamp can be improved? Thanks for your help.

Malcott

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I bought a 900 Diversion earlier this year. I am very pleased with it apart from the headlight, which is poor. Has anyone any experience or knowledge of HID conversions? Do they actually work? Are they legal / safe? Do they cause any problems - e.g. over heating of wiring / connectors? If HID is not suitable, does anyone have any other tips on how the headlamp can be improved? Thanks for your help.

Malcott

I put a 100w bulb in mine, works fine and no problem with the electrics. I have had my divi from new and suffered with poor headlamp (hence the bulb) and after a bit of thought found out the beam was not adjusted correctly (the bike has right/left & up/down adjustment) once adjusted the headlamp was acceptable unless you like running around country lanes at over the ton :rolleyes:

Regards Jim

I put a 100w bulb in mine, works fine and no problem with the electrics. I have had my divi from new and suffered with poor headlamp (hence the bulb) and after a bit of thought found out the beam was not adjusted correctly (the bike has right/left & up/down adjustment) once adjusted the headlamp was acceptable unless you like running around country lanes at over the ton :rolleyes:

Regards Jim

Thanks Jim. You're right about the adjustment - it was well out. It's a lot nearer now but I've still not got it right yet. Even so, the light output seems poor. If HID is not going to be suitable, I will take your advice and try a 100w bulb. I haven't noticed these around - is it a standard bulb?

Malcott

Thanks Jim. You're right about the adjustment - it was well out. It's a lot nearer now but I've still not got it right yet. Even so, the light output seems poor. If HID is not going to be suitable, I will take your advice and try a 100w bulb. I haven't noticed these around - is it a standard bulb?

Malcott

Hi there try looking at this one, hope this helps

Regards Jim

Are they completely legal on a bike? cos I might get a pair of them?

well not really but I have had mine in since 1998 & never failed to pass the test on headlamp. m/c headlamps should be 60w each so if you have 2 headlights you can display 120w but if you have one only 60w which I think is a little unfair :angry: also by the same token HID systems are not quite legal look here. Makes you wonder when Vosa will catch up with hi tech systems

Regards Jim

I might have to have a look at those then, Need to look into powering it though cos i've only got a little battery on my 50cc lol. I'll have a chat with a guy i know and see if he's got anything for me :D ty for the advice Jim :D

i got a DT50MX which have notoriously crap headlights from stock.

mine came with this thingy on:

http://www.motocrossmotorbikes.com/product...lid=m6b0s23p150

No problems with the original electronics and its pretty good output wise (although i had to use a 6v bulb to get it to work with my electric system)

you may need a universal headlamp mounting kit to mount it though (i got mine from busters-accessories.co.uk)

best of luck

Steve

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online