TDM 850 problem

TDM850
This post is 5799 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I was riding the other day and got stuck in some very heavy traffic - nose to tail and little room to zip between them - so engine temp was rising - but not over heating - the fan comes on at the correct temp - and then all of a sudden it just died on me - just as the fan came on

however, the lights were all working including headlights but the starter acted as if the battery was dead. gave a very weak try and then just clicked.

so got the recovery (useful investment) and taken home

put battery on charge, and it seemed to take an awful long time to fully charge - (the charger was one of those intelligent ones which does some checks when charging to test for leakage etc.)

but when charged, fired straight into life

now i am going to check the charging circuit but would the bike have died once battery power got below a certain level?

any thoughts welcome

Yamaha TDM850, 1992, 39k mile

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I was riding the other day and got stuck in some very heavy traffic - nose to tail and little room to zip between them - so engine temp was rising - but not over heating - the fan comes on at the correct temp - and then all of a sudden it just died on me - just as the fan came on

however, the lights were all working including headlights but the starter acted as if the battery was dead. gave a very weak try and then just clicked.

so got the recovery (useful investment) and taken home

put battery on charge, and it seemed to take an awful long time to fully charge - (the charger was one of those intelligent ones which does some checks when charging to test for leakage etc.)

but when charged, fired straight into life

now i am going to check the charging circuit but would the bike have died once battery power got below a certain level?

any thoughts welcome

Yamaha TDM850, 1992, 39k mile

sounds like your bike is not charging when its used up the power in the battery it will just die try the rectefire check the power going into the battery to see if its charging.

so even though all lights were working, could still be rectifier?

cheers

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online