How to do an oil change on a DTR125x 05

rmbukk
This post is 5675 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi.

I have just recently bought an 05 DTRX that has been sitting for a year previously. Could someone please tell me what i should change and replace? I have guessed that it is a good idea to change the engine oil and possibly the transmission oil and coolant?

I have looked in the service manual and it does not tell you how to do a complete engine oil change? Is it just a case of draining it out and filling it up? Any other suggestions on what should be checked etc will be much appreciated. The bike had been serviced not long before it was left for the year and please bare in mind I am completly new to this..... Thanks in advance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just warm it up to temperature so the oil thins then just drain it out and re fil with new oil, simple as that.

Hi.

I have just recently bought an 05 DTRX that has been sitting for a year previously. Could someone please tell me what i should change and replace? I have guessed that it is a good idea to change the engine oil and possibly the transmission oil and coolant?

I have looked in the service manual and it does not tell you how to do a complete engine oil change? Is it just a case of draining it out and filling it up? Any other suggestions on what should be checked etc will be much appreciated. The bike had been serviced not long before it was left for the year and please bare in mind I am completly new to this..... Thanks in advance

the engine oil is contained in the oil bottle as it is a 2stroke its few thru the pump so just empty the bottle (pull pipe off bottom funnel it away) then refil with fresh oil run it through taking out the air locks.. its not like a 4stroke holding its oil in the sump.

I am completly new to this.....

:welcome:

If you have no experience, then the place to start is with a service/workshop manual, haynes or the like. do your research first, but that's probably why you are here........

stay safe.

The engine does have oil in it although its only in the gearbox and clutch case, there will be a drain plug underneath, warm the engine before attempting to drain it. Before you do drain it find out how much to put back in, there is usually a dipstick or a window in the clutch case to use as a level, you need to have the bike vertical when filling to the correct level, as Mikey said, the other oil is two stroke oil and your engine burns this so you need to keep it topped up, although there should be a warning light when its getting low.

cheers for the replys guys i appreciate the feedback. Changing the engine oil does seem straighforward enough, I have the service manual for the bike but for some reason it didnt show how to do a complete 2 stroke oil change. As for the transmission oil do you guys think I should bother changing it or do you think it will be fine as it was serviced not long before being put away for the year?

As for the transmission oil do you guys think I should bother changing it or do you think it will be fine as it was serviced not long before being put away for the year?

id just change it anyway if your going to service it do it properly :D do the whole thing then you know its sound just for peice of mind really its simple enough shouldnt take you long and doesnt cost to much good luck :)