Why so few Shaft Drives?

Pete
This post is 7299 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

If you want a shaft drive bike today, there's hardly any choice at all....apart from a load of ugly Beemers!

FJR or Pan....that's basically it (don't mention the Wing or the Dullville) since the demise of the Divvy 9/GT750.

30 years ago I thought just about everything would have gone to shaft by now. I know it's extra weight etc...but it's just so easy and clean, and no large bills for sprockets and chains.

I reckon shaft drive is very underated, and tbh it's probably unfashionable, but I'd never want to go back to a bike with a chain.

What about you lot....any experience of Shaft Drives?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

my dads xv535 is shaft drive. he loves it!! alot less hassle. i'm quite keen on it too. lots of advantages. as you said pete, you'd think more bikes would have it now. the only gripe i've ever noticed is that it seems rather clunky, it being the only shaftie i have rode i have nothing to compare it with though. quite fancy a xj900 next 8)

• Admin

The only shaft bike ive ridden is my aunts Virago, thats pretty clunky too. Thinking of alternatives to chains, i saw a cruiser the other day that was belt driven looked the nuts but dont know what it is :?

The only other shaftie I owned was a GS650 Katana in 1984. :oops:

I hated the bike....nothing to do with the shaft...I just didn't like it.

I can't comment on the Virago cos I'm not keen on that type of bike anyway, but the shaft on the Divvy is very smooth indeed. Probably one of the best shaft drive units to come out of Japan.

I would try and get a ride on a non-cruiser shaftie....you may well be surprised!

that old xs 750 hardtail chopper thats in my mums back garden is shaft drive by the way if anyone wants it its for sale for 1500 quid but i think pete will take a grand cause he is skint

I was using a 600 divvie for two years, and a colleague had the 900. I took his for a run and was instantly impressed. Wouldn't part with my 900 now for anything. Very low maintenance, cleaner and one hell of a lot smoother!! 8)

I remember in the 70's when Suzuki introduced the GS850G shaft drive. They added an extra 100cc to counteract the shaft system power loss as compared to chain drive.

The GS1000 version became the GS1100G

The Kawasaki Concours is shaft driven... feels pretty solid at that. In a lot of ways, I wish my FJ were... but the instant power from a chain is kinda nice too.

Only shaftie I've ever owned is my Old Nail XJ750 :wink: ......they Do have their advantages......Virtually NO maintenance & mess 8)

But I Do miss Lightweight Linear Feel & gear change options of having a chain :wink:

The Kawasaki Concours is shaft driven... feels pretty solid at that.  In a lot of ways, I wish my FJ were... but the instant power from a chain is kinda nice too.

We don't get the Concours here though.

I ride a 900 Divvy and and I think it's the dog's.Nice an smooth and I ride it all year round.Don't intend goin back to chain drive now,anyhow me hands is knackered now so if I try an ride a sports bike I get terrible pins'n'needles after about 30 mins.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online