More problems

stevie16v
This post is 5804 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I posted last week about the problem with the exhuast clamp bolts rounding off. Well i successfully got them out. However, I cant get a new bolt into the holes. I have tried re-tapping a thread, but it is too tight a space, and i have tried several bolts but there appears to be no thread so i am really struggling. Anyone any suggestions?

I have pics available aswell

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Might be better to post the pics, then people can see the problem. Also when trying to retap the hole i think you might struggle with a standard tap due to the depth of the hole, you might fare better with a blind tap.

bump. been told prob best to take of at least the top end and retap it off the bike. Any advice or any other suggestions?

Stevie, the pics are poor quality and dont really help, the question is...is the hole now enlarged and if so it will not tap because its now bigger than the tap...if this is the case it will need a helicoil repair!

Stevie, the pics are poor quality and dont really help, the question is...is the hole now enlarged and if so it will not tap because its now bigger than the tap...if this is the case it will need a helicoil repair!

unfortunately i only had my camers phone so thats why the pics aint great. Yes the holes are now slightly bigger. My intentions were to, if possible, tap a slightly larger thread and use a bigger bolt, ive seen the helicoil repair kits but dont know if im too keen on trying them

unfortunately i only had my camers phone so thats why the pics aint great. Yes the holes are now slightly bigger. My intentions were to, if possible, tap a slightly larger thread and use a bigger bolt, ive seen the helicoil repair kits but dont know if im too keen on trying them

Well you did ask and my suggestion is helicoil it, you will also possibly need to take the head off if access to drill and tap is restricted. If you go down the route of tapping bigger and make a cobblers of it then its another head after that, i think the next size bigger is 8mm at a guess, have you got room for it alongside the exhaust, bearing in mind that the nut will be bigger 13mm AF instead of 10mm AF

Well you did ask and my suggestion is helicoil it, you will also possibly need to take the head off if access to drill and tap is restricted. If you go down the route of tapping bigger and make a cobblers of it then its another head after that, i think the next size bigger is 8mm at a guess, have you got room for it alongside the exhaust, bearing in mind that the nut will be bigger 13mm AF instead of 10mm AF

Its the taking the head off thats concerning me. ive got a manual for a ybr125 which i have been told is just a new sr125 so is pretty much same as. I think i'll really need to try my luck and take it off and then from there. looks like i wont have the bike ready for monday as nowhere local sells helicoils. O other thing, have you ever used self tapping bolts? think they'd be any good

Its the taking the head off thats concerning me. ive got a manual for a ybr125 which i have been told is just a new sr125 so is pretty much same as. I think i'll really need to try my luck and take it off and then from there. looks like i wont have the bike ready for monday as nowhere local sells helicoils. O other thing, have you ever used self tapping bolts? think they'd be any good

sorry, never heard of self tapping bolts, as for taking the head off i cant help with that either, never had one of those but it might be an engine out of the frame job if you dont have room to lift it clear, the main thing is to slacken the cam chain adjuster and lift the head off without dropping the chain...DONT drop it into the crankcase, tie it up somewhere, after you do the repair you need to put it on in the right place.

If you do helicoil it you will need one of These

You need a dead steady hand when drilling the pilot hole and make sure you keep to the correct angle and depth, if youre not sure or confident ask your local engineering firms, they might do it for you but you may still have to buy the kit. Dont use bolts in the exhaust, use studs with nuts, that way the thread in the head will not be damaged

sorry, never heard of self tapping bolts, as for taking the head off i cant help with that either, never had one of those but it might be an engine out of the frame job if you dont have room to lift it clear, the main thing is to slacken the cam chain adjuster and lift the head off without dropping the chain...DONT drop it into the crankcase, tie it up somewhere, after you do the repair you need to put it on in the right place.

If you do helicoil it you will need one of These

You need a dead steady hand when drilling the pilot hole and make sure you keep to the correct angle and depth, if youre not sure or confident ask your local engineering firms, they might do it for you but you may still have to buy the kit. Dont use bolts in the exhaust, use studs with nuts, that way the thread in the head will not be damaged

Brilliant, thats a cracking bit of advice. i esp like the idea about the stud and nut. I'll nip in tomorrow and get a few, the ironmongers is right across from my work. Hopefully be posting up next about my success and getting it roadworthy before the mot :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online