FZI ABS - Would you buy one?

JoyBear
This post is 5804 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm Interested in buying an FZ1 Abs but don't know much about it other than the marketing bumf (oh and the fact that it looks like the sort of bike you could have some fun on).

Am planning to use it mainly for town (London), weekends trips out of town and also touring next year (France/Spain). Don't laugh but originally had my heart set on a BMW.

Any comments, suggestions, warnings welcome.

Thanks,

Justin

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I personally wouldn't bother with the ABS version.

It isn't missed by those who don't have it and chances are the non-ABS one will be cheaper!!

This is my opinion only...

People have done fine without ABS in the past.

Plus, it's one more thing to go wrong.

Some models also have problems. BMW had a whole spate of their ABS completely releasing when the rider was braking and going over a bump. Not what you want, especially in an emergency.

Honda too have had problems, especially with their Linked Braking systems.

I also believe it creates a false sense of security among those who don't understand it's limitations, so you get people riding more aggresively.

A lot of riders forget that, due to how ABS works, low-tractions surfaces can increase your stopping distance. So gravel, diesel etc becomes even more hazardous.

So... A lot of people think ABS is the mutt's nuts, resulting in dealers not selling as many non-ABS versions. Which makes them cheaper.

Concise answer - thank you!

What bike do you have?

This is my opinion only...

People have done fine without ABS in the past.

Plus, it's one more thing to go wrong.

Some models also have problems. BMW had a whole spate of their ABS completely releasing when the rider was braking and going over a bump. Not what you want, especially in an emergency.

Honda too have had problems, especially with their Linked Braking systems.

I also believe it creates a false sense of security among those who don't understand it's limitations, so you get people riding more aggresively.

A lot of riders forget that, due to how ABS works, low-tractions surfaces can increase your stopping distance. So gravel, diesel etc becomes even more hazardous.

So... A lot of people think ABS is the mutt's nuts, resulting in dealers not selling as many non-ABS versions. Which makes them cheaper.

What bike do you have?

Look to the left of my post, below the St George flag ;)

I'll hopefully be adding a Deauville (without ABS) to the garage as well.

I'll likely be called a traitor and other such, but the FJR just isn't good enough and nothing else comes close.

600 will do more than enough.

Nothing wrong with starting out big, but it's expensive and usually very painful if you feck it up.

Pass the test first, see how well you get on with a 500.

the FZ1 is a stonking bike, but you say you want to tour (continentally). you would be better looking at a faired motorcycle. The FZ1 would probably give you neck ache on longer high speed journeys. Its a biked aimed at people who wanna go out on a sunday afternoon and do a good blast and is not aimed at long distance work (it could im sure).

Just upgraded from a FZ6N to a FZ1N ABS; both are cracking bikes. The 600 is more than enough as a first 'proper' bike as the FZ1 is an absolute animal! I would recommend the ABS version - if only because you'll have less trouble selling it on when you want to trade-up. There's a reason non-ABS bikes are discounted! The ABS is a useful tool to making you keep shiny-side up in those circumstances where you've mis-read the road and hit a unseen greasy spot at the wrong moment. If it saves you bust-up bodywork and bruising (god forbid worse) then it has got to be worth it! Ignore any advice to the opposite - it tends to come from luddittes who mourn the passing of plunger frames, drum brakes and carb tickling.

I would also recommend the Fazer over the N if you plan any long distance work - it's not just the half-fairing but the lack of bungee points (on the FZ1N) as well. It becomes more relevant when you find out the FZ1 tank is lumpy and half of it is plastic - I haven't found a decent-size tank bag that will fit properly. If you just want to go play in the traffic then there's not much between having an N versus a Fazer. The only drawbacks are the clutch cable getting in the way of the ignition barrel on the FZ6 - really annoying after a while unless you zip-tie it back against the handlebar risers. The other is the traditional Yamaha gearbox (clunk and click every trip). The FZ6 also has those underseat exhausts, which could make using off-the-peg throw-over soft panniers awkward.

Ignore any advice to the opposite - it tends to come from luddittes who mourn the passing of plunger frames, drum brakes and carb tickling.

Absolute piffle.

It is merely my opinion that ABS isn't all it's cracked up to be.

It will help in some circumstances, but people are taking the same attitude that car drivers have to being surrounded by bodywork and airbags. The same sort of people who turn into a brick wall because their SatNav said "Turn Right Now"!!! :rolleyes:

It can help, but it is just an aid - It's not there to do the braking jobs for you.

You still have to ride safely, brake sensibly, read the road, plan ahead and so on.

By all means, get ABS and have fun being safe.

If you don't believe me about the neccesary considerations though, then try panic braking on a diesel laden wet road and see what happens..... ABS or not, get it wrong and you're an instant Tarmac Surfer!!!

I'm not old enough to know what plunger frames are and carb tickling is (though they sound like illegal practices in most States.....) - And I happen to hugely dislike my drum brakes!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online