first day out!

wild foamy
This post is 5701 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi everyone, took my CBT today.

started off with the basics, parcticing in a car park e.t.c and after a couple of hours i got out on the road with th einstructor, after a couple of hours we stopped for a burger king (as you do...) before continuing the test for another hour or so and ending up back at the Railway station where we had started.

since then i've not been off my DT, first thing i did when i got home was get my insurance sorted (£225 Third party F&T with Swinton) and i am really enjoying this little bike... keep asking my dad to let me play with his CBR900 Urban Tiger but he is somewhat reluctant :(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

weldone mate sounds awsome

your dad is right, its a big step from a 50cc to a 900cc

wait a few months at least before u get a shot

Congratulations - Welcome to the biking world!

I think I was ripped off... I never got to go Burger King! :lol:

Take it easy and get to grips with the bike (yours, not your dads) and one day u'll be riding the blade.

Be careful

• 2 weeks later...

made my first mistake...

left it parked on a gravel driveway and the sidestand sunk in and the bike fell over :( only damage was to the clutch lever, but i've ordered a new one off the internet (£4 cheap enough, the original had the end snapped off anyway so it was due for replacement :))

also hav elearnt another major lesson... its freezing f*cking cold riding at night, and the lights on Yamaha DTs' suck big time

made my first mistake...

left it parked on a gravel driveway and the sidestand sunk in and the bike fell over :( only damage was to the clutch lever, but i've ordered a new one off the internet (£4 cheap enough, the original had the end snapped off anyway so it was due for replacement :))

also hav elearnt another major lesson... its freezing f*cking cold riding at night, and the lights on Yamaha DTs' suck big time

Invest in a pair of Guards, I have Acerbis ones on my TTR and Yam OEM ones on the Tenere, you can get them from most dealers, although Yemaha ones will cost more, and in most cases they are made by Acerbis anyway. These also keep the cold away from you hands! another £40 for some Oxford heated grips will give you nice toasty hands all through the winter.

A tip for riding in the cold - thin layers, forget than nice thick fleece, put two thin ones on instead, long socks and don't fasten things too tight. A good wind proof neck buff will help stop the draughts around your neck/head.

For some reason nearly all small capacity bikes have crap lights, it makes you wonder why they put crap on the most vulnerable bike on the roads! Other than puting another light on the bike (Halfrauds sell some small spots for around £15) your stuck as the bike's wiring isn't setup for higher output bulbs. I've fitted some to my TTR, you can just about make them out on this picture, next to the main light:

P7090007.JPG

Congrats mate :rolleyes: But you wanna think long an hard about jumpin on a 900 so fast, its a massive step, and these big bikes shouldnt be took too lightly, you wanna give it some real deep thought mate, one mistake on a big bike is different from makin it on a small bike an believe me they not very forgiving - if you do decide to go for a 900 - just keep everything in mind what peeps have told you - take your time - an get to know the bike :D

Good advice from Gas Up B)

And carry an extra layer or two with you I find a cotton singlet makes a huge difference under the looser layers and get some thin thermal leggins, you'll notice the chill on your thighs once winter really sets in.

It's so easy to forget about temperature change when it's bright and sunny at 10am, then later in the day sun goes down and the mercury drops big time brrrrrr. Cold body = less attentive brain.

Don't feel bad about the drop, learning curve is going to be very steep for a while, just put it all down to experience

(btw if that had been your dad's bike, you'd have had to enlist help to pick it up ... and just to put things into perspective, imagine your leg underneath a 200kg bike :( , take it easy bud, 1 step at a time eh ? ;) )

Congrats on passing your test mate!!

I had to have a packed lunch on a playground where we'd been practicing!! lol

I've also noticed the crappyness of the lights on my bike. Normally night riding for me is only on a road that i know like the back of my hand so I won't be taken by surprise by the corners and isn't very busy so I can ride with hig beams on all the time. but if I'm using my dipped beam it's like holding a bloody candle in front of me :P

Have fun riding :D

P.S. DON'T panic in a corner and grab the front brake cos nobody told you that it'll lock the wheel, It does and it'll mean that you go sliding with a bike between your legs :( my mistake on my first day lol.

GZ again for passing

i have sat on the 'blade in the driveway and for a little lad like me i've a job to hold it up once it's leaning over.

but i absolutely love riding pillion on it, and just by hanging off the back of it i can tell its not a bike to be taken lightly...

My DT has a DHG front fairing which does make it a bit nicer to ride at night but you still can't see very far infront of you. Busters Accessories sell a 6v/12v "Looney lamp" which is designed for this sort of bike, only problem is finding a place to mount it as my front fairing is too small and the mudguard is right underneath it

heated grips are something i have thought of, but this is a 6v bike so it wouldnt really be possible

and to prevent future clutch breakages, would these do the job?

http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/productinfo/BRGBK

i have sat on the 'blade in the driveway and for a little lad like me i've a job to hold it up once it's leaning over.

but i absolutely love riding pillion on it, and just by hanging off the back of it i can tell its not a bike to be taken lightly...

My DT has a DHG front fairing which does make it a bit nicer to ride at night but you still can't see very far infront of you. Busters Accessories sell a 6v/12v "Looney lamp" which is designed for this sort of bike, only problem is finding a place to mount it as my front fairing is too small and the mudguard is right underneath it

heated grips are something i have thought of, but this is a 6v bike so it wouldnt really be possible

i hate going pillion

my friend turned up at my house on his ninja to take me somewere, i told him to get on the back.

these protectors would do the job, most dirt bikes have them, cant go wrong there mate

after you have been riding your dt for a while a bigger bike will feel lighter, i always thought my ybr was heavy at the time

but once i had been on 600cc+ bikes they feek just as light.

They will work for slow speed spils and falling over - as long as they are sturdy enough when you get them on. The one on my TTR have an aluminum strip running through them so you can run the bike into a tree and it'll bounce off! Plastic ones will work, but they're brush guards - for protecting your hands from branches/hedges/flying rocks etc rather than loking after the levers.

This is more like it:

http://www.coast2coastoffroad.co.uk/index....roducts_id=1550

But at 4x the cost, you would be better with the Busters ones.

i dont really need anything for high-speed spills as i never go above 30 unless i am travelling out of my hometown, at the time the bike was sat on a mates driveway so anything to keep a bit of the shock off the levers is good (i usually have the levers pointing downwards anyway as i find it more comfortable, so perhaps i will try it with them more upright)

on recent inspection, it appears the left-hand switchgear also has a crack in the casing, so i'm cutting my losses and buying a new switchgear set anyway (the old one had a dodgey horn button, sticky indicators and looked a bit shabby)

i want a bigger one now... looking for a nice DT250 to start restoring for when im 17 :)

Well done on your CBT, Don`t jump on your dads bike just yet, Might spoil your whole day,( and your dads).

You don`t wont ta be limping just yet, look around at "meets" We all do in the end. Funny they always land on your legs,

Buy a GOOD pair of gloves, Not cheep off EBay ( ooooo those finger tips),

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online