'73 & '74 Yamaha TX750

capper
This post is 4357 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello Everyone,

I have spent some time searching not only this forum the but net itself for some information about the TX 750's. Thus far information has been limited and not particular favorable unfortunately. I have found a few small niche groups with some good information about them but other then that they appear to have been dismissed as a bad idea. I am always up for a challenge and never afraid to step outside the box so I will take on the challenge. I am not 100% sure of what I am starting with as I haven't seen the bikes as of yet (tommarrow I will) but I know there is a 73 and a 74 and alot of spare parts. I am also getting a 74 TX 500 as part of the same deal, but thats another post.

I was wondering if anyone here has any firsthand experience with these bikes whether its be riding, restoring, or wrenching? Any good info on documentation for them would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance for your help

J

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I think the warnings you've received about the TX Yamaha's are correct. It was a pretty bad bike from Yamaha. If I remember it had steering geometry problems and cylinder heads that were poorly designed that overheated and cracked. It was one of the first motorcycles I knew of that were recalled. But if you have room in your life for some extra grief, then go ahead and get them. I too just added some grief by getting a '82 XZ550 Vision. I understand your need.

• 1 year later...

I've owned a TX-750 since 1988 and it's been a wonderful machine

There is something very captivating about it...

YamahaTX750.jpg

74TX750.jpg

I think it's the fact that with a minor amount of care before hand, the engine doesn't seem to lock up dispite being unintentionally neglected.

A very happy modification!

wix24945oilfilter.gif

And the agony of defeat. My current struggle is my inability to grasp the concept of a duel point configuration and make the proper adjustments.

TX750PointsInst.jpg

I've owned a TX-750 since 1988 and it's been a wonderful machine

There is something very captivating about it...

Welcome aboard! I get up to Lebanon and the Stoutland area from time to time. Love US-7 to Lake of the Ozarks off I-44. Rick

• 2 years later...

I owned a 1973 model, the worst of the two, apparently, for a few years and once I had the cam-chain guides & cam-chain replaced and a hole drilled through the sump (!?) it ran well. It took a bit of getting used to as it had a 'heavier' front end than what I was used to, but since then I'm still looking for the same in other bikes. The only change I made was to the bars with a pair of slightly lower ones and used to throw it around corners and travelled regularly with it. I reluctantly, and regrettably, sold it because I couldn't get the girlfriend and groceries on it at the same time. And I'd dropped it, at 100kmh, so it needed a new exhaust. Not the bike's fault either, the road was covered in rocks the size of rugby balls and I hit one.

And the clutch was great for developing hand-muscles from every session going over the Harbour Bridge.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online