Yamaha SR 125 engine troubles

Paralell
This post is 5609 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello

I'm new to this website and thought i'd give it a try. I have a 2001 Yamaha SR 125 which i just bought, it has 2699 miles on the clock. The problems are, when i try to start the engine, it takes a very long time even with the choke out, and if i can get it running, i have to keep the revvs up otherwise the engine dies. Also, if i go to rev the engine, it will cut out unless i do it very slowly. If i can get the engine to run for more than 10 seconds without cutting out, it starts screaming, literally, its a very very very loud high pitched squeal that comes from around the engine area, its loud enough to hear propperly at the bottom of the street, it doesnt sound too healthy, i have to turn it off or i'd probably go def! i've tried setting the low speed screw for the idling problem but it doesnt seem to work, it either idles at high revs or it doesnt idle at all.

All help is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

It sounds to be running lean, is the mixture screw set right? i will guess it should be 1 and a half turns out from lightly closed, i suspect it might be too far out!

Failing this youre looking at a carb strip down and look for a blocked pilot jet

Hi and welcome to the forum,

It sounds to be running lean, is the mixture screw set right? i will guess it should be 1 and a half turns out from lightly closed, i suspect it might be too far out!

Failing this youre looking at a carb strip down and look for a blocked pilot jet

Hi thanks for the reply. i just stripped down the carb and cleaned it all out, made sure there was no blockages, there were a few seeds of some sort where the float is, but its all clean now. I've booked it in for a service though to get a machanic to fully sort it out, as im not too familiar with carb setups for this bike, plus, that squeal needs sorting and i dont have a clue what it might be or where exactly it is coming from, it literally does sound like a screaming firework that wont go bang, but i havnt startd it up since i first posted, just incase it does go bang! The seller i bought it from said it was running ok but, it appears to be the opposite way round... Shame too, because its a lovely little bike.

Actually, is it possible that this squealing noise is the starter motor trying to engage while the engine is going? (Thats what was suggested to me but i personally dont think the starter motor could make such a noise).

• 4 weeks later...

I have a similar problem, did you get yours sorted and if so what was it?? On my bike there is....good compression, good spark, good fuel, no sticking needle, no air leak...proble??

trouble starting it, when it starts it will only tick over, put in gear or up the revs and it cuts out....getting very frustrated with it.....

please help me someone...

[email protected]

I have a similar problem, did you get yours sorted and if so what was it?? On my bike there is....good compression, good spark, good fuel, no sticking needle, no air leak...proble??

trouble starting it, when it starts it will only tick over, put in gear or up the revs and it cuts out....getting very frustrated with it.....

please help me someone...

[email protected]

Hi Les, Check spark plug gap, better still try new plug, then make sure pilot air screw is set right for your bike, following this it could be carb trouble.

Hi, I took it to the garage and found the problem, what had happened was that the noise was because the engine had no oil in it so was metal on metal, and it eventually smashed the cams as they were seized. So, no more yamaha for me...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online