dt taking on water

pwoiks
This post is 5821 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

as ive been hitting the trails quite regular now on my R reg dt125r ive noticed after going through some deep puddles/revers etc.

water appears to have gotten into the gearbox oil somehow and the oil goes a white/transparent colour. can anyone suggest where it might be getting into the engine. ive had the sidecases of the engine and it doesnt seem able to get in from there.

has anyone experienced/resolved this problem before?

thank you

rich

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

When i was hitting the trails i made sure that the carb rubbers including the seals on the airbox and such on the intake system were sealed properly, i ran the crankcase breather into the airbox so that it could not pick up water from under the bike and the carb breather was extended and run up under the tank way out of the way. Make sure it points downwards though.

You should also check the seals on the cases such as the clutch pushrod and the output shaft especially cos they get a right hard time in deeper water.

While your at it give ALL the electricals a right soaking and i mean bloody drown them in something like WD and i'm including the coils and such behind the flywheel, the cdi and such maybe set in resin but the connections aren't and its better to prevent problems than find them on the trail.

Vaseline is also good on your HT leads and plugcap to keep the water out.

You will also benefit from getting in there with the lube on the chain, all cables and keeping your bearings in tip top nick as trail water is probably more effective than grinding paste once it gets in.

When me and my dt175 were keen on getting muddy and freezing wet cold for fun, i can remember running through water that was over the cases deep without problems, in fact there was far newer stuff getting into trouble, cos they expected it to be fine out of the box......

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online