74 TY250 Carb Question

Alan_nc
This post is 5830 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Group,

Have a 74 TY250 with the stock T... carb. Have gotten the bike to the point where it runs and idles fine but....

It will not start unless I squirt gas into the carb. If you leave it sit for more than about 10 minutes you have to repeat the gas squirting process. Once it has started it runs fine and if I stop it will re-start just fine. Carb has been cleaned and re-assembled. Taken apart several times but never any dirt inside. Float setting was off when I got the bike, I'm guessing at it's setting.

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Alan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Group,

Have a 74 TY250 with the stock T... carb. Have gotten the bike to the point where it runs and idles fine but....

It will not start unless I squirt gas into the carb. If you leave it sit for more than about 10 minutes you have to repeat the gas squirting process. Once it has started it runs fine and if I stop it will re-start just fine. Carb has been cleaned and re-assembled. Taken apart several times but never any dirt inside. Float setting was off when I got the bike, I'm guessing at it's setting.

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Alan

Hi Alan, assuming its a mikuni VM carburettor, im thinking the pilot jet bypass hole is blocked (If it has one) its a small hole in the bottom of the venturi, allows fuel through the pilot jet to exit behind the throttle slide when shut, also worth a look at the air jet. A rough guide to this working or not is to adjust the mixture screw, it should have a noticeable affect on engine speed at tickover, if blocked you will see no affect.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online