yamaha genisis wont start

martoss
This post is 5704 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi every one i only just joined but i need help badly :angry: i have a yamaha yzf 600 genisis which was working fine till last week when it just wouldnt start. it ticks over but wont fire up. i checked the electrics all seem fine still wont start. i tried using jump leads and bumping it still nothing had the plugs out and cleaned them even that wont work.any help will much appreciated. thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi every one i only just joined but i need help badly :angry: i have a yamaha yzf 600 genisis which was working fine till last week when it just wouldnt start. it ticks over but wont fire up. i checked the electrics all seem fine still wont start. i tried using jump leads and bumping it still nothing had the plugs out and cleaned them even that wont work.any help will much appreciated. thanks.

Happy to help but -

- what is a yzf 600 genisis? do you mean an FZR600 or a thundercat?

- It ticks over but it won't fire. Do you mean it turns over but wont start? or do you mean it idles, but it wont take a blip of the throttle?

Sorry to sound patronising, but further details would be useful!

btw Welcome to this forum, i like it cos there is loads of variety! :rolleyes:

my dad used to have a genesis but the 750. i thinks its whast was around before r1's r6's etc.

Im not sure on your problem though sorry <_<

Happy to help but -

- what is a yzf 600 genisis? do you mean an FZR600 or a thundercat?

- It ticks over but it won't fire. Do you mean it turns over but wont start? or do you mean it idles, but it wont take a blip of the throttle?

Sorry to sound patronising, but further details would be useful!

btw Welcome to this forum, i like it cos there is loads of variety! :rolleyes:

hi yea it turns over but wont start and yes its a fzr600 my mistake. theres no attempt to fire up then i end up making the battery going flat. its a 1991 model. it was working begining of last week then it wouldnt start in the morning now wont start at all.

hi yea it turns over but wont start and yes its a fzr600 my mistake. theres no attempt to fire up then i end up making the battery going flat. its a 1991 model. it was working begining of last week then it wouldnt start in the morning now wont start at all.

Did it run smoothly, before it stopped?

my guesses is maybe worn main jets (makes the bike to rich to fire), try from cold with no choke to see if it starts.

But probably dodgy 'lectrics! check plugs, coils and leads.

good luck

It might just be that the starter motor is not spinning up enough. Other than that it could be lack of fuel on starting, probably a blockage.

hi the fuel pipes are ok there isnt no blockage as all pipes got cleaned out i shall check out the starter motor thanks

Did it run smoothly, before it stopped?

my guesses is maybe worn main jets (makes the bike to rich to fire), try from cold with no choke to see if it starts.

But probably dodgy 'lectrics! check plugs, coils and leads.

good luck

hi yea it ran fine during the week it got harder and harder to start though. I put new spark plugs in but im not getting any sparks so i take that as an electric problem. some one at work surgested the cd unit do you recon this is a possability. one more question do you know what didital igniter is. thanks again for all your help.

hi i put new spark plugs in but im not getting any sparks so i take that as an electric problem. some one at work surgested the cd unit do you recon this is a possability. one more question do you know what didital igniter is. thanks again for all your help.

Igniter is the Cd unit on these bikes. How old are the coils? might be worth replacing those, having said that there tends to be lots of igniters on ebay (make sure it is the correct one).

If you have a haynes manujal you can test the impedances of the coils, its not perfect but it can show up a dodgy coil from time-to-time.

Check connections carefully as other electrical faults may mean the igniter does not output a LT voltage.

good luk

Igniter is the Cd unit on these bikes. How old are the coils? might be worth replacing those, having said that there tends to be lots of igniters on ebay (make sure it is the correct one).

If you have a haynes manujal you can test the impedances of the coils, its not perfect but it can show up a dodgy coil from time-to-time.

Check connections carefully as other electrical faults may mean the igniter does not output a LT voltage.

good luk

[/quote

im not sure how old the coils are is it possible for these to stop working together, like at the same time?i will check the igniter then, and keep an eye out for anything on ebay thanks again i will let you know how any progress goes.

recently sold a 1989 genesis, had exactly same problem!!! was on dual carriageway doing 60-70 mph & she just died on me!! coasted to a pub car park,result, & tried all the usual battery terminals etc... after 30-35 mins purely by luck i sussed it...... storage on the fizzer is non-existent i'd put my MCN paper under the front seat which was snug!! & must of disturbed the connections to the cdi unit, it didnt even look as though it may be the problem....but wiggled it about & she fired up sweet as a nut. odd thing is i'd put shit loads of other things under the seat,& larger but only this 1 time did it give me grief.... moral of the story..............try it you got nuttin to lose!!!! good luck

recently sold a 1989 genesis, had exactly same problem!!! was on dual carriageway doing 60-70 mph & she just died on me!! coasted to a pub car park,result, & tried all the usual battery terminals etc... after 30-35 mins purely by luck i sussed it...... storage on the fizzer is non-existent i'd put my MCN paper under the front seat which was snug!! & must of disturbed the connections to the cdi unit, it didnt even look as though it may be the problem....but wiggled it about & she fired up sweet as a nut. odd thing is i'd put shit loads of other things under the seat,& larger but only this 1 time did it give me grief.... moral of the story..............try it you got nuttin to lose!!!! good luck

ok cheers for that i now have the cdi unit off and just checking wires i will let ya know how i get on.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online