2008 R6 Tail Tidy Help

Papillon
This post is 5615 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there - just joined the site after getting my first bike 5 months ago - loving it! Have spent hours on the site already and learnt loads - thanks!!

Can anyone help me with what will probably sound like a stupid question. I've just bought the Evotech tail tidy online and from the instructions it seemed simple to fit - so at the weekend set to by removing the seat cowl - only to find a whole host of plastic and seemingly no way to get to the bolts so i could unscrew the factory fitted set :blink: .

Any tips on what to do next? I removed as much as i could to see if the black plastic bit could be lifted but it seems to go under the seat and contain various bits of battery / electronics etc so i didn't fancy going much further as i thought i must have missed a trick. Any help would be very much appreciated!! Apologies as i know this probably seems like Biking Basics 101.

Also - if anyone lives around North East London and fancies a ride out (not really been on one yet with anyone else) please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone has.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hiya mate,

I fitted an R&G teil tidy,(I think it was anyhow,) all I had to do was un-do the 4 bolts holding the standard work of art on,and rebolt the new one,easy,i put bullet connectors onto the indicators so I can refit at any time,did not have to go near the main fuse/battery area at all,only unbolted the rear tail piece to take the rear footpegs off.All this from memory,i can check tomorrow if your still havin problems

Hi - seems to me that i have to undo the bolts from under the seat cowl / rear seat. And when i look under there, there is a big black plastic cover covering it which means i can't get to the bolts to begin to undo it. Am probably missing a trick and they can be undone from underneath (hope so anyway)...

you're probably best off getting a haynes manual really, i've always found them easy to follow and it'll probably tell you how to get at what you need to, failing that try asking at a local independent bike shop, I've always found such places are happy to help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - haven't sorted yet but to be honest i've not been out to the bike in the last 2-3 weeks. The Evotech one itself looks really simple to fit - its more that i need to know how to remove the initial bolts - once i know this, i can then bolt on the new tail tidy.

Its actually a fairly big job to fit any tail tidy to an '08 R6, allow at least an hour, 2 cups of tea, 4 fags and a skinned knuckle or two!! ;)

First remove both seats,

then the top shell of the tail, 6 plastic rivets and 1 allen bolt.

(To remove the rivet type clips, push in the center till it clicks then just lift out the whole clip. (to refit, push the center back up two clicks so it sticks out the top, refit and push the center flush to lock))

remove the cowling around the rider seat, 4 plastic 1/4 turn screw type clips, 2 plastic rivets underneath at front and 4 screws underneath.

remove alloy plate, 4 screws.

remove pillion seat lock bar, 2 allen bolts and R clip (pay attention to how the spring is seated and make sure not to loose the white nylon shim under the bracket)

unclip the ECU from the tray, then release the 1 large black clip underneath (use a flat screwdriver to slide under center of clip, there are 2 cut outs for this, and pry up center to release then lift out) this finally releases the black tray (enough) to access the 4 bolts holding on the number plate bracket!!!

then you've just gotta refit it all in reverse.

Have fun!!

ps. I'm in sw london, if you fancy a ride out sometime PM me!

Hi - thanks for that - thats great. I got pretty much 90% of the way there and began to pry up and could see the bolts under the black tray - but with limited tools decided i must be doing something very wrong and so pieced it back together. You're right - the spring loading piece was a pain and i wish i'd paid a bit more attention when i took it off but managed to figure it out. The black pop-up plastic screws are also a bit of a pain and led to painful fingers on my ride back from Derby to Islington.

Am definately up for a ride out at some point - am down here for another month or so so give me a shout - can maybe use your tail tidy fitting skills too.

Cheers for responding.