thundercat will not start

mercury--interceptor
This post is 5731 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

just surmising as i have never had any experience with cats, but maybe tps? you can check the tps quite easily and its a fualt that will probably thro a fault code on the Rev counter.

T-hrottle P-ostion S-ensor.

It is a sensor located on the shaft that opens the throttle butterflies in the carburetors. It tells the ecu indirectly what load is on the engine, so that the ECU can adjust the amount of spark advance. It will have 3 or 4 wires (via a socket), a refernce 12v or 5v, a 0v, either 1 signal wire or 2 signal wires. It is a potentiometer and will output signals (usually) that are a linear voltage that is directly proportional to angular displacement of the throttle butterfly shaft. In essence it tells the bike what your right hand is doing as you ride!

You could check the contacts etc, and if you have the wiring diagrams see if it is getting +12v/5v (delet as appropriate) and whether is it giving a variable signal (of course check the 0v too).

I'd be consulting a Haynes Comic myself for technical spec if you are unsure.

Have you had the tank off?

If your getting the 8000 rev counter fault, its usually because the wire to the tank hasn`t been connected back on.

Though i doubt this would be the problem with bike not starting.

Is the fuel pump working ok?

To cure the jumping up to 8000 will be one of 2 things

1) the Petyrol Low level warning light has blown.

2) you need to lift the tank when it's almost empty, and remove the fuel level sender, you'll see a wire that goes from top to bottom and the chances are that the wire has broken off at the solder ... simply solder it back on and re-install.

The jumping to 8000 shouldn't be the reason why it won't start.

May be you've just flooded the engine trying to start it, I know with my '04 R6, if I press the starter for a second but don't actually keep it pressed long enough to start then it just will not start until I wait for ages and ages or push start it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online