Can a fuel pump be cleaned?

Mr. Alex
This post is 5829 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Just lost me job and am hoping to save a few quid. Bought some fuel from a well known supermarket and guess what it was full of impurities and it's clogged up my fuel pump (according to my local garage anyway). Now I've no way of proving the Supermarket link as I have no samples and it was bought miles away from home on a long ride.

Anyway looks like it's going to cost me around £70 for a pump (pump is combined with relay) plus fitting and I've already had to pay the garage to get me going.

The bike is a Fazer 600 2000 model.

Now assuming I can get the old pump back from the garage do you know of a way to cleanb the old one to save me a few quid on buying a new one in these difficult times.

Big thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Alex.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all,

Just lost me job and am hoping to save a few quid. Bought some fuel from a well known supermarket and guess what it was full of impurities and it's clogged up my fuel pump (according to my local garage anyway). Now I've no way of proving the Supermarket link as I have no samples and it was bought miles away from home on a long ride.

Anyway looks like it's going to cost me around £70 for a pump (pump is combined with relay) plus fitting and I've already had to pay the garage to get me going.

The bike is a Fazer 600 2000 model.

Now assuming I can get the old pump back from the garage do you know of a way to cleanb the old one to save me a few quid on buying a new one in these difficult times.

Big thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Alex.

Hi Alex. simple ans is NO, most all are sealed units But the line filler should stop any bad stuff comeing from the fuel tank so i would check them out . Its normaly water in the system thats the problem on fillups and that dont stop the pump working you need to clean the carbs and tank out of bad fuel. to clean the pump just flush clean fuel through it. if there no suction the diaframs duff end of story.

Navi

Hi Alex. simple ans is NO, most all are sealed units But the line filler should stop any bad stuff comeing from the fuel tank so i would check them out . Its normaly water in the system thats the problem on fillups and that dont stop the pump working you need to clean the carbs and tank out of bad fuel. to clean the pump just flush clean fuel through it. if there no suction the diaframs duff end of story.

Navi

Hi Navi,

Must confess, I did a couple ogf hundred miles without it over the weekend and it seemed fine while the tank was fairly full and it seemed to deteriorate as the level dropped without the extra weight to push it through. So I think it does need something.

Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can get it from the garage and I'll see if I can get it going.

Many thanks,

Alex.