Loss of power

hugoverdog
This post is 5657 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello,

My bike (XVS Dragstar 125) has recently started losing power when I'm pulling away from lights etc. I'll explain what happens. I start the bike, in the morning or the afternoon/evening and let it warm up for as long as I can without getting really bored. When I pull away it moves but not anywhere near as fast as it should do, almost dangerously slow. The only way I get it to start working properly is by blipping the throttle and then it suddenly kicks in to life but even then sometimes when I change from 1st to 2nd the power can go and I lose acceleration, it feels like the fuel isn't getting through or something, this is really doing my head in, someone please help!

Thanks guys!

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Check your carb manifolds. These are the black rubber tubes going into your cylinders from underneath the carbs.

Mine are fucked - cracked and split to buggery - and I'm getting a lot of similar problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

My bike (XVS Dragstar 125) has recently started losing power when I'm pulling away from lights etc. I'll explain what happens. I start the bike, in the morning or the afternoon/evening and let it warm up for as long as I can without getting really bored. When I pull away it moves but not anywhere near as fast as it should do, almost dangerously slow. The only way I get it to start working properly is by blipping the throttle and then it suddenly kicks in to life but even then sometimes when I change from 1st to 2nd the power can go and I lose acceleration, it feels like the fuel isn't getting through or something, this is really doing my head in, someone please help!

Thanks guys!

Have you checked the oil aroudn the bearings??? i got a 125 drag (2004) only had 1900 miles on it but the previous owner had left it on the kick stand for the guts of 2 years and the oil was all sitting to one side and this caused the bearing to seize up ...really affected the performance.......a lot like what you're saying.... this may be similar to ur problem.

hi, first i'd renew your oil, let the bike warm up before you drop the oil though, as the other guys said, check the carb manifolds and if they're ok you'll need to clean out your fuel system as it only takes a single grain of sand to cause this, gimme a shout if you get stuck

• 1 month later...

I would like to know if you got your problem sorted my mates 125 is showing the same signs as yours get it up to 50 and it feels like your running out of fuel blip the gas and its ok for a few miles i am planing to do a service on it this weekend but a update on your problem would be cool

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online