carburation problems

fazerfrog
This post is 5751 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have an RD 350 LC with the YPVS engine in it, i am having troble with the idleing, the left hand carb is fine no probs, it will deliver fuel to the right carb with out any problems, the jets are all clear, when starting the bike from cold it will supply fuel with the choke out but when it warms up and you turn the choke off it leans out and stops supplying fuel, but it will run fine at any other revs, help anyone got any ideas

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Might want to check the carb slide positions at idle.

Cos they are cable opperated carbs they have a cable each,(shock) but there is no common opperating system like on a multi. You cannot adjust the idle at one point and do both cyl. You have to set the idle speed buy adjusting each carb separately.

That means you can have the idle screw set high on one carb which gets the engine to tick over after a fasion but the other carb is closed or severly restricted as its set too low, its not the same as balancing the carbs as the slides will sit on the idle screws no matter how well they are balanced. But you are balancing the carbs if you know what i mean.

Getting this set right is discribed in the manual and it is a bit of a faf but will cause what you are talking about, at least it did on mine.

Hi fazerfrog, I know you said all the jets are clear but...Check the pilot jet / jets. all the signs of blocked pilot jets there, could also be a blocked bypass hole.

Thanks guys, i`ve done all of the cables and also set the float levels and also made sure that the slides are running free and are both balenced but still i have this problem, tried all of this last night without any success, i`m going to strip the carb down again and get it ultrsonicaly cleaned to see if this will cure it. other than that i`m at a loss anyone got a second hand carb kicking about if i need one ?

• 2 months later...

:lol: Yippee !!! i`ve finaly gotten to the root of my tickover problem RD, what i had was in the venturi part of the carb the bleed hole had a hairline crack which in turn was letting in to much air, the solution was i dremmeled out a small vee and filled this with chemical metal and baked it in the oven so that it went off hard and cleaned of all the excess and now she runs like a dream. I am now looking for a replacment carb as i dont know how long this repair will last, so if anyone has knows of some for sale please let me know. :D

Have a great Christmas and a very happy new year to all

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online