Reccomended 125cc bike

Dufferz
This post is 5687 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well, I'm a Uk citizen, so i have to wait till im 17 to ride a 125cc bike;

I've been riding a DT50MX for a few weeks, and ive decided to keep this till i am 17, so I can sell it and get a big lump of money :)

My Max price would be £1500, absolute maximum, as i'll have the bike for 4 years and done direct access course.

Birthday on June 03 2009

I like Cruiser + tour bikes, but im not very sure what the difference between them is.

It's for commuting to college every day (9.6miles each way) all along main roads.

What bikes would you reccomend?

~Dufferz

PS, I quite like the CG125.. any thoughts? :mellow:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well, I'm a Uk citizen, so i have to wait till im 17 to ride a 125cc bike;

I've been riding a DT50MX for a few weeks, and ive decided to keep this till i am 17, so I can sell it and get a big lump of money :)

My Max price would be £1500, absolute maximum, as i'll have the bike for 4 years and done direct access course.

Birthday on June 03 2009

I like Cruiser + tour bikes, but im not very sure what the difference between them is.

It's for commuting to college every day (9.6miles each way) all along main roads.

What bikes would you reccomend?

~Dufferz

PS, I quite like the CG125.. any thoughts? :mellow:

yes dont get a CG

plz...awful

Stick with the DT's, you wont regret it.

Haha, okay. I'll probably get a road bike as well though, so when im back from the army for holidays or whatever, i can cruise around :lol:

What's bad about them? I did my CBT on it and it seemed okay to me

they look like shit and are slow..

and doesnt exactly impress the women

they look like shit and are slow..

and doesnt exactly impress the women

Hmmmm, i suppose :mellow: Defeats the point of a cruiser for women :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I did my CBT on a YBR and now I have an SR125, prefer mine to be honest but that could be because the CBT machine had been dropped once too often, although my instructor told me to avoid the YBR because it seemed a bit flimsy. I don't have a lot of experience but I like the SR, its nice and simple, looks better than a CG and is perfect for riding around town. I've dropped it once and nothing fell off and had a few complimentary remarks when I've been out and about. Although to be honest I wouldn't buy a learner bike to impress anyone cos those L plates will just ruin it.

I should add that I considered getting a CG or Suzuki GN and a few others but eventually it came down to just getting the best bike I could afford within a 50 mile radius.

Tourers look like normal road bikes, but tend to have lots of fairing, comfortable and relaxed riding positions, loads of luggage space, massive fuel tanks and groovy bits to enhance the 200+ mile tank range. They tend to have a bit of an Old Man image.

Typical bikes include: Pan European ST1100, BMWs, Goldwing, Deauville, Pretty much anything ridden by the Police.....

Sports-Tourers are halfway between Tour and Sport bikes, usually performance focussed with all the above features, but to a lesser extent. Often ridden by men who will one day become Old Men.

Typical bikes include: Sprint ST, FJR1300, Blackbird

Cruisers are long, low, retro-styled bikes with a laid back, feet forward riding position, leather & chrome everywhere, big thumping V-Twin engines, LOUD and bassy exhausts, tassles, more chrome and serious pussy-wetting imagery. Often ridden by blokes with big beards, bandannas and sunglasses.

Typical Bikes: Most Harley Davidsons, Virago, Dragstar, Intruder, Marauder, Shadow.

I know of 125 Cruisers, but I doubt proper Tourers come in 125...

I'd heartily recomend either to aspire to.

As for a 125 - A decent 125 cruiser will set you back around £1,500 - £2,000. I'd go with the Dragstar or maybe the Shadow. Viragos are built for small women (because they look so sexy on one) and the rest are kinda crap.

But for just needing a bike until you pass your test, anything that works, is comfortable and is affordable will be all you need. As the Bill Hicks fan below says;

Although to be honest I wouldn't buy a learner bike to impress anyone cos those L plates will just ruin it.