Newbie seeking advice and tips

DJ Rusty
This post is 5822 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

:D Hi guys and gals...(soooo `dj`ish aint it), new proud Yammy FZ6 owner here, one week old already.

Right a few questions i hope all you other proud owners out there can help with. Running in the engine? How many miles? Revs? Speed etc? Any/all advice and tips welcome. Is it common for a loud `cluncking` into first and second gears? Is it normal for the engine to be so revie, even though im in top gear it always feels as though there should be one more final gear, or is this also just part of the running in period? Taken it up to 55 the most at the moment.

Anyway, look forward to all your tips on the bikes.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome congratulations on your new bike!

Running in, the key thing is not to put large loads on the engine, so not loads of revs (check the manual for the exact ceiling figure) and do not try to pull up a steep grade in top etc. Check with the dealer for ditance of running in, usually 500miles or maybe 1000kms. My advice is after that increase load revs to the 1000 mile mark.

Yamaha boxes tend to be clucnky, more so until they get a bit of healthy wear in them, so i wouldnt worry.

The motor is lifted from the R6, so is always gonna be a touch rev-hungry, i think you will get used to it.

Most important than all this is,be safe!

just run-in 2008 r6 and it went some thing like this

8300rpm first 600miles

9900rpm 600-1000miles

very important for the first 200miles you don't go over 8300rpm but after 200 you can give it a little extra BUT only in short bursts (to overtake) !

enjoy your new bike and ride safe!

Welcome congratulations on your new bike!

Running in, the key thing is not to put large loads on the engine, so not loads of revs (check the manual for the exact ceiling figure) and do not try to pull up a steep grade in top etc. Check with the dealer for ditance of running in, usually 500miles or maybe 1000kms. My advice is after that increase load revs to the 1000 mile mark.

Yamaha boxes tend to be clucnky, more so until they get a bit of healthy wear in them, so i wouldnt worry.

The motor is lifted from the R6, so is always gonna be a touch rev-hungry, i think you will get used to it.

Most important than all this is,be safe!

Thanks for that bit of advice, least i know its a normal thing in the gearbox department and being rev-hungry as you say. Riding safe is THE most important thing to me anyway, always have been a very safe rider and driver. Now if the English weather could just give us a summer to try it out in.....lol.

just run-in 2008 r6 and it went some thing like this

8300rpm first 600miles

9900rpm 600-1000miles

very important for the first 200miles you don't go over 8300rpm but after 200 you can give it a little extra BUT only in short bursts (to overtake) !

enjoy your new bike and ride safe!

Again many thanks to you for taking the time to help with that.

Up to 250 miles already and havent been over 55mph or 5000 revs so looks like its going to be fine on that line :rolleyes:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online