maxum 650 issue

symonds
This post is 5823 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i recently bought a 82 maxum 650 in real good shape for $50, guy needed money. It cam with 2 catches one not so bad it needs a rear tire. the other issue i need help with. The PO said he was driving it home from work and it suddenly started smoking and blowing oil from somewhere,wasn't sure where. i added oil and it fired right up and runs and sounds fine with no smoke or leaks. i noticed there in no air filter element and the carb boots are a lil dry rotted? any help would be great im an ASE car tech but i'll admit with bikes i have alot to learn

thanks and sorry for the long post

Derrick

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i recently bought a 82 maxum 650 in real good shape for $50, guy needed money. It cam with 2 catches one not so bad it needs a rear tire. the other issue i need help with. The PO said he was driving it home from work and it suddenly started smoking and blowing oil from somewhere,wasn't sure where. i added oil and it fired right up and runs and sounds fine with no smoke or leaks. i noticed there in no air filter element and the carb boots are a lil dry rotted? any help would be great im an ASE car tech but i'll admit with bikes i have alot to learn

thanks and sorry for the long post

Derrick

it was finally warm enough to to get engine warm without being able to ride it. once it got a lil heat in the motor blue smoke came out of both pipes so i am suspecting rings are bad. how hard are these engines to rebuild the topend on? i have rebuild many car engines but never a bike. can i have it bored over and buy oversized pistons like you would fo a car engine? sorry for the stupid questions. o one more thing where is a good place to get a good manual for this bike.

thanks

Derrick

dont know if these pics will help , i parted one out last yr. purty straight foward dohc type removal. & Ive got no idea what im pointing at in pics now but prob a collit or hidden bolt.

2007_021280maxim0003.jpg

2007_021280maxim0005.jpg

2007_021280maxim0006.jpg

dont forget this bolt.

2007_021280maxim0009.jpg

2007_021280maxim0010.jpg

2007_021280maxim0018.jpg

head came off in frame but I cant remember if jugs do too or I had to pull motor out to remove jugs. I do remember motor arount drive shaft was a PIA to remove.

head came off in frame but I cant remember if jugs do too or I had to pull motor out to remove jugs. I do remember motor arount drive shaft was a PIA to remove.

that helps alot but i am having a problem figuring out what this bike is, the title says its an 82 yamaha vin 5K5020720 the model plates on the side covers of the bike are gone so i need help with this so i can get parts.

thanks

derrick

you were right i found the sticker in the neck and according the the vin it is a 82 xj 550 not a maxum 650 as the owner said. thnaks so much for the help so far

i got it torn down and found my oil burning problem, number 3 piston has a hole in the center of it. im thinkin the carb was plugged causein the cylinder to run lean. my new problem is i can't find parts for this bike does anyone here know of a source to buy parts for these older yamahas?