xj600 standing long time wont start/fuel leak

gameplayerltd
This post is 5827 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all.

New here just passed my full bike test today woo hoo!

I have come across the most pristine conditioned XJ600S.. looks like Yamaha had just finished building it! Not a mark anywhere, no grease on the engine.. no scratch anywhere, absolutely mint.

But, it wont start and fuel is pouring out from under the fuel tank.

The story with this bike is it was bought by a gentleman who works with my dad. He bought it frrom brand new but got a bit shaken up riding in heavy traffic and was put off riding it. Its only done 3000 miles from new. But its been standing quite a long time. He's a nice guy, an honest chap my dad has known for many years and he has looked after it fine up until it was left standing. Its been kept dry and covered during the lengthy off road period. He had started it a while back and it started ok then.

I was warned by a mechanic about the fuel crystalising and blocking the carb..

It went to start and misfired a bit but then died. It didnt help he wasnt using the choke to start it properly! Each time we tried to start we saw fuel pouring out underneath the fuel tank somewhere central as we heard the fuel pump pumping.

Could it be, as it started-the the carb got blocked and the pressure of the fuel is causing it to pour out of anywhere it can? Or is it likely a seperate leak issue like a corroded seal somewhere?

Im going to buy this bike tomorrow (weds) so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all.

New here just passed my full bike test today woo hoo!

I have come across the most pristine conditioned XJ600S.. looks like Yamaha had just finished building it! Not a mark anywhere, no grease on the engine.. no scratch anywhere, absolutely mint.

But, it wont start and fuel is pouring out from under the fuel tank.

The story with this bike is it was bought by a gentleman who works with my dad. He bought it frrom brand new but got a bit shaken up riding in heavy traffic and was put off riding it. Its only done 3000 miles from new. But its been standing quite a long time. He's a nice guy, an honest chap my dad has known for many years and he has looked after it fine up until it was left standing. Its been kept dry and covered during the lengthy off road period. He had started it a while back and it started ok then.

I was warned by a mechanic about the fuel crystalising and blocking the carb..

It went to start and misfired a bit but then died. It didnt help he wasnt using the choke to start it properly! Each time we tried to start we saw fuel pouring out underneath the fuel tank somewhere central as we heard the fuel pump pumping.

Could it be, as it started-the the carb got blocked and the pressure of the fuel is causing it to pour out of anywhere it can? Or is it likely a seperate leak issue like a corroded seal somewhere?

Im going to buy this bike tomorrow (weds) so any help would be greatly appreciated.

hi there, it could well be old fuel,or as said ,carbs shited up, the pump should stop pumping when the the carbs are full ,if its not , then it could be a split petrol pipe , put new pipe on & drain all the old petrol out of the tank& carbs , replace with new, might do the trick :D

hi there, it could well be old fuel,or as said ,carbs shited up, the pump should stop pumping when the the carbs are full ,if its not , then it could be a split petrol pipe , put new pipe on & drain all the old petrol out of the tank& carbs , replace with new, might do the trick :D

thanks.

oh.. so the pump would normally stop pumping if carb is full? I can hear a definate sound of it pumping while trying to start...hmmm... so my theory of it being blocked and therefore full could be wrong and more likely a split/corroded pipe-from what you said here? That sounds a much cheaper repair option! Makes sense too from the long time its been standing (prob about 5/6 years with only a few starts here and there) :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online