xvs 250 dragstar

timbob
This post is 5714 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I've passed my full test two weeks ago now and desperately want a xvs 250 dragstar as my first bike. I have been looking on the internet (auto trader/ mcn/ general googling) every day now. And they all seem to be being sold before I have a chance to go and see them. I would have to visit at the weekend or in the evening as I work.

I was wondering if any of you lovely people know of any being sold in the south of the country and could put me in touch. I live in Oxfordshire by the way.

I thought about getting a xv 535 virago and getting it restricted as I am limited to 33bhp for two years, is this wise? Would getting the 650 dragstar restricted make it seriously sluggish and too heavy to handle for a first time rider?

I would appreciate any help or general comments.

CHEERS!

Timbo

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I thought about getting a xv 535 virago and getting it restricted as I am limited to 33bhp for two years, is this wise? Would getting the 650 dragstar restricted make it seriously sluggish and too heavy to handle for a first time rider?

In my oh-so-pretentious opinion...

Yes, a 535 is a small but reasonable bike. Too small if you're a big'un, but fine for the more petite riders, like Gary Numan and the girl round the corner from me. It's getting to be an older model, so make friends with a mechanic who can help you maintain it.

650 Drag has 40 BHP as standard and, having tried one out, a restricted one isn't all that different.

It weighs 230 kg anyway, so it's a touch heavy to manoeuvre at slow speeds, but you'll get used to it soon enough.

Handling is fine and the weight helps your stability in corners. Even restricted, it can keep up with the big 1100s and it will still do licence-losing speeds on the motorways.

The 250 would be a bit of a waste in my opinion. You'd want a bigger one fairly soon.

Go straight to a big bike, get used to it and enjoy it.

Incidentally, AR Motorcycles in Farringdon (fairly near you) have a Honda Shadow for sale.

I got my 650 Drag from them at a rather cool price!!

In my oh-so-pretentious opinion...

Yes, a 535 is a small but reasonable bike. Too small if you're a big'un, but fine for the more petite riders, like Gary Numan and the girl round the corner from me. It's getting to be an older model, so make friends with a mechanic who can help you maintain it.

650 Drag has 40 BHP as standard and, having tried one out, a restricted one isn't all that different.

It weighs 230 kg anyway, so it's a touch heavy to manoeuvre at slow speeds, but you'll get used to it soon enough.

Handling is fine and the weight helps your stability in corners. Even restricted, it can keep up with the big 1100s and it will still do licence-losing speeds on the motorways.

The 250 would be a bit of a waste in my opinion. You'd want a bigger one fairly soon.

Go straight to a big bike, get used to it and enjoy it.

Incidentally, AR Motorcycles in Farringdon (fairly near you) have a Honda Shadow for sale.

I got my 650 Drag from them at a rather cool price!!

Yep - what he said. You would soon get bored with the 250 and want soemthing with a bit more gunt. I have the 650 too and it does everything i want it to do and more.

Im 5ft 1 and find it one of the easiest bikes to manoevre on my own. The bhp on them is low anywhoo so a restriction kit will make little or no difference whatsoever.

The Dragstar 650 is my first cruiser after riding crotch rockets for longer than i care to remember, and its a fabby bike!

Im 5ft 1 and find it one of the easiest bikes to manoevre on my own.

5' 1"???!!

OMG, you're a cute little short-ar..... I mean, "vertically challenged person"!!! :D

Guys, there is definitely something sexy about a small woman on a big bike!!

Trust me :)

Did you find much of a difference between Sport and Cruise?

I've been Cruising since I started, but apparently the Sporties all find it hard going from body-leaning the whole bike to simply using the arms and conscious counter-steering....

Just curious.

5' 1"???!!

OMG, you're a cute little short-ar..... I mean, "vertically challenged person"!!! :D

Guys, there is definitely something sexy about a small woman on a big bike!!

Trust me :)

lol, why thankya kind sir :blush:

Although my large gob makes up for my lack of height :lol:

Did you find much of a difference between Sport and Cruise?

I've been Cruising since I started, but apparently the Sporties all find it hard going from body-leaning the whole bike to simply using the arms and conscious counter-steering....

Just curious.

Most definately. Its a compeltely different style of riding altogether. The cruiser is far more laid back and relaxed, the sports much more aggressive. I used to ache like fuck all across my shoulders and back when i came back from a long ride on my CBR. The grin factor is completely different too. I now have a "fuck did you see all those lovely roads" as opposed to "fuck did you see me take on those twisties" conclusion :lol: (hence why i have the Bandit cos i sometimes miss the adrenalin rush of the twisties)

I find that i dont feel as "pushed" by other riders on sports bikes too. I used to feel like i HAD to race, or i HAD to keep up just cos i was on a sports bike - im sure some of you know what i mean.

I LOVE my cruiser and the stye of riding it offers, and i love the laid back, no rush, enjoyable feling i get from it too, and i cant see me ever going back again on a permanent basis. ;)

See, I'm getting a Deauville and/or an FJR for those times when I'll want the features they offer.

But I've always likened Cruisers to flying one of those BIG bomber aircraft.

You bank slowly around long bends and corners, but you feel the lean so much more and (probably because of the position) it's like playing 'Planes' as a kid with your arms out.

The Spitfire-like engine sounds probably help!!

I love taking sharp corners at amazingly low speeds, sometimes having even ground out the pegs.

See, I'm getting a Deauville and/or an FJR for those times when I'll want the features they offer.

Go for the FJR - theres a reason why they call it the "Dullville"..........

Go for the FJR - theres a reason why they call it the "Dullville"..........

Yeah, a lot of people keep telling me this....

Usually 'Blade owners, who don't think anything's worth it unless you're riding on the very edge of your nerves all the time.

If riding really is all about how fast you can go, then fuck the 'Blade and the Hayabusa... I'll get myself a Rocket III, thankyouverymuch.

Rocket III - 0-50 is faster than a 'Busa and with subsequent stats (the ones that they've bothered to measure) are only something like 0.8 seconds difference anyway.

Personally, I'm left with memories of seeing what a Police Officer can do on one.

It was anything but dull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's a reason why they continue to use DVs as well as all the new BMW models!!!

These guys consistently outperform all the track bikes and whatever else you care to throw at them. Good performance is taking a bike like this and making it do what the 'high performance' ones do.

Besides, it ticks all the boxes and I like the styling.

I'm a very utilitarian person and the DV fills gaps that the Drag just can't manage. Plus I love the way the panniers are styled into the bodywork!!

The FJR is OK, but just a bit too big and unwieldy for what I need. If they made a smaller version in, say, 900cc, it'd be OK. It's also got some silly, stupid and even downright rediculous features to it.

Performance aside, it's like carrying the Jimmy Lyle 'Rambo' knife, when all you need is a standard model Victorinox.

And who in the name of FECK came up with those stupid loppy-lugs that act as knuckle-guards????!!!!!!

Honda do these little triangular inserts..... Yamaha rip the outer casings off coach wing mirrors and stick them around the mirrors on the FJR!!!!!

If I want to look like a nob, I'll buy a (insert your least favourite car here) !!!

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Everyone, sorry to revive and old(ish) thread, I'm kinda new to talking on forums :P

I'm riding an aprilia classic 50cc which is a moped with 5 gears and cruiser styling :D. My 17th is in two months and i'd been considering getting a dragstar 125 or a shadow 125 for about a year now. But then my friend reminded me that I can actually get a big bike and have it restricted and as soon as i found that out i had my heart absolutely set on getting a Dragstar 650.

My only prolbems are:

A: How easy will it be to get it restricted?

and

B: Will my insurance be a lot higher than if i got the 125?

This place looks like good fun and i look forward to talking to you about my drag star when I finally get one!!

Thanks,

Ed

Hi There,

Have you looked at the Viagro Star Owners club site

http://www.vsoc.org.uk/index2.html

They have a "for sale" section there is normally a few bikes that may suit you...

Also the club is not a bad place to join other Star owners, I belong to the Thames Valley Vultures, which are a nice bunch of people, loads of local knowledge, and loads of rides out which are good fun.

I can thoroughly recommend them

Stu

A: How easy will it be to get it restricted?

and

B: Will my insurance be a lot higher than if i got the 125?

A: Very easy - The Restrictor kit will cost you around the £145, incuding fitting, at any decent motorcycle garage, be it a dealer or an independent.

B: Not really. The 650 is a low-risk bike.

What will cost is the lack of no claims, lack of age & experience, any commuting, pillion cover and bits like that. TBH, at 17 you're looking at quite a high price wherever you go. But do shop around and play companies off against each other.

I'm surprised to be insured through Carole Nash, who beat everyone elses' prices else by a good £70!!!

It's certainly not going to be as high as if you had a 33BHP Hayabusa, though!!!

Have you looked at the Viagro Star Owners club site

I belong to the Thames Valley Vultures,

Do you mean VSOC Centre 12?

Or the Thames Vale Vultures?

:lol::P

A: Very easy - The Restrictor kit will cost you around the £145, incuding fitting, at any decent motorcycle garage, be it a dealer or an independent.

B: Not really. The 650 is a low-risk bike.

What will cost is the lack of no claims, lack of age & experience, any commuting, pillion cover and bits like that. TBH, at 17 you're looking at quite a high price wherever you go. But do shop around and play companies off against each other.

I'm surprised to be insured through Carole Nash, who beat everyone elses' prices else by a good £70!!!

It's certainly not going to be as high as if you had a 33BHP Hayabusa, though!!!

Do you mean VSOC Centre 12?

Or the Thames Vale Vultures?

:lol::P

Yup VSOC Center 12 THAMES VALLEY VULTURES.... ah I just Googled Thames Vale Vulture.... whats that all about, Ive only been with VOSC a short while

The Thames Valley Vultures are Centre 12 of the Virago & Star Owners Club.

The Thames Vale Vultures are a general owners group for all models of bike and trike, including 125s and Learners.

About 6 or 7 years ago, there was an internal dispute among the Centre 12 (C12).

A contingent of the C12 members were unhappy with the fact that the club never did very much, that is wasn't very well organised, was cliquey and unsocial etc.

Then the crunch came when several of the people running the club sold their bikes and bought things like BMWs instead, yet insisted in remaining in position - How can you be in a Yamaha owners' club if you don't own a Yamaha?

The result was a split between the members.

The pissed off lot went and formed their own club, calling it the Thames Vale Vultures and creating a similar logo to piss off the C12 lot. There has been bitter rivalry ever since.

In recent years, the VSOC has gained a reputation (particularly in this area) for being a boring bunch. Often it was more like "The Chronicles Of Paul & Rog", rather than a whole club of people. They never seemed to go anywhere, do anything or whatever and became quite insular. Eventually, the VSOC lost the official endorsement from Yamaha.

TBH, I've never heard much about the other VSOC centres - Just C12 as they're local.

I've seen a couple of their members around once, but that's it.

By comparison, the Vale Vultures have now become one of (if not THE) largest owners club in our local area. They have monthly rideouts, biking holidays, attend lots of events, do some very high profile charity work and have a pretty good reputation. They're not an MCC, so they don't really come under the Red & White radar at all, but most of the nearby MAG groups are inter-affiliated with them. The Vale Vultures rep is also the NABD rep for Berkshire.

So yeah, that's basically the story.

There's some other politics involved, but those are more private matters between individual members - The sort of thing you get with any enthusiast groups.

The Thames Valley Vultures are Centre 12 of the Virago & Star Owners Club.

The Thames Vale Vultures are a general owners group for all models of bike and trike, including 125s and Learners.

About 6 or 7 years ago, there was an internal dispute among the Centre 12 (C12).

A contingent of the C12 members were unhappy with the fact that the club never did very much, that is wasn't very well organised, was cliquey and unsocial etc.

Then the crunch came when several of the people running the club sold their bikes and bought things like BMWs instead, yet insisted in remaining in position - How can you be in a Yamaha owners' club if you don't own a Yamaha?

The result was a split between the members.

The pissed off lot went and formed their own club, calling it the Thames Vale Vultures and creating a similar logo to piss off the C12 lot. There has been bitter rivalry ever since.

In recent years, the VSOC has gained a reputation (particularly in this area) for being a boring bunch. Often it was more like "The Chronicles Of Paul & Rog", rather than a whole club of people. They never seemed to go anywhere, do anything or whatever and became quite insular. Eventually, the VSOC lost the official endorsement from Yamaha.

TBH, I've never heard much about the other VSOC centres - Just C12 as they're local.

I've seen a couple of their members around once, but that's it.

By comparison, the Vale Vultures have now become one of (if not THE) largest owners club in our local area. They have monthly rideouts, biking holidays, attend lots of events, do some very high profile charity work and have a pretty good reputation. They're not an MCC, so they don't really come under the Red & White radar at all, but most of the nearby MAG groups are inter-affiliated with them. The Vale Vultures rep is also the NABD rep for Berkshire.

So yeah, that's basically the story.

There's some other politics involved, but those are more private matters between individual members - The sort of thing you get with any enthusiast groups.

Well live and learn.... Ive only been there a short time, but they seem OK to me... I have noticed that a few of the guys dont have Yams...my wife has a Suzuki, so I guess I'm in a glass house :-)

I also am doing the TVAM thing as well, both clubs seem to have loads of ride outs, and stuff going on... I assume you belong to the Vale club?

Wasn't expecting that fast a reply :D thanks very much for getting back to me.

Also, I'm not a complete beginner, I've got a year's driving experience on a geared bike with no claims, so it shouldnt be as bad i hope :S

Also, I've got a friend who has brought me into motorcycling and he's getting his harley customised and said i could have his old pipes for my yamaha if it's got facory pipes on it, what do you guys think? he says they're straight through.]

Ty again :D

I also am doing the TVAM thing as well, both clubs seem to have loads of ride outs, and stuff going on... I assume you belong to the Vale club?

I'm sure C12 are nice enough people.

Perhaps the original instigators of the bullshit politics have since departed. However, it is a bit pointless being in an owners group when you don't own the relevant bike. The whole point is to express your support and belief in that particular bike being the best ever.

Certainly, if you stop owning a Harley, you do actually get asked to leave the Harley Owners Group!!!

TVAM is always good.

However. I'd recommend first doing a Bikesafe course with the Police. Let their teaching sink in for six months or so and then look at an advanced riding scheme.

I have spent time with the Vale Vultures.

They're a very good club for people new to biking and/or new to bike clubs. For a lot of people, they get all they ever wanted without the politics of an MCC.

and said i could have his old pipes for my yamaha if it's got facory pipes on it, what do you guys think? he says they're straight through.]

So long as they fit properly and you make sure the jets are properly adjusted to match the pipes, I don't see a problem.

Just remember they may not be road legal and they will be FUCKING LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure C12 are nice enough people.

Perhaps the original instigators of the bullshit politics have since departed. However, it is a bit pointless being in an owners group when you don't own the relevant bike. The whole point is to express your support and belief in that particular bike being the best ever.

Certainly, if you stop owning a Harley, you do actually get asked to leave the Harley Owners Group!!!

Yep maybe, as I said to new to know the history, re the owners club, well I can sort of see your point, but for me, I'm more interested in having a good time and a few ride outs with like minded people, whatever bike they ride... Not to "

Express my support that my bike brand is the best ever"... frankly if I had the cash I would have a whole rack of bikes, and although my Yammy would be in there, I'm sure I would find space for a bit of Italian exotica and maybe even a Harley :blink::rolleyes:

To be honest, an Owners Club is very much about which bike you own.

That's why I'd recommend a club like the Vale lot for beginners. They don't care what bike you have - It's about the ride and the people.

To be honest, an Owners Club is very much about which bike you own.

That's why I'd recommend a club like the Vale lot for beginners. They don't care what bike you have - It's about the ride and the people.

Maybe your right, perhaps I'll take a trip to the "Vale"... mind u at the moment I think it might be better to go by boat!

How do you find your Star?

I love mine, but its costing me a fortune in shinny bits to bolt on :rolleyes:

How do you find your Star?

By looking out of the window, usually. :lol:

Seriously though, she's a very good bike.

Mine's rather old and knackered, plus I do a lot of hard riding in really bad consitions, so I have lots of things that keep breaking.

To be honest, I'd expect the same with any other bike, if not worse. I'm a very heavy-handed person and a harsh taskmaster (hence the User ID).

I expect things to work.

By contrast, my other half is just as much a hard-core rider, but she isn't so hard on the bike. Her 650 Drag is in amazing condition and it's pretty problem-free!!!

Definitely go along to the Vale Vultures and see what they're like. No pressure to join or anything... But then, it wouldn't be the first time someone has left C12 to join the Vale group!!! ;)

www.tvvultures.co.uk.

They meet up at a fancy new venue (I think details are on the webshite) every second Wednesday of the month - Hey, that's this Wednesday!!